- Level 32 warlock ability
- 30 yd range
- 3% of base mana
- 1.5 sec cast
- Banishes an enemy Demon, Aberration or Elemental for up to 30 sec.
The target cannot act but is invulnerable. Limit 1 target.
Casting Banish again will cancel the spell.
Banish is a warlock crowd control spell, usable only on Elementals, Demons and Aberrations. It prevents the target from taking any action, and also makes it invulnerable, preventing the target from being affected by attacks, heals or spells of almost any kind.
It is learned at level 32.
- Banish has a PvP duration of 6 seconds and is subject to diminishing returns.
- Banished mobs can be affected by a Voidwalker's [Suffering] ability (and probably the similar hunter pet ability as well) and by taunts.
- Even though this spell is classified as a Magic effect, it cannot be dispelled with normal Magic-dispelling abilities.
- Can be removed with the priest's [Mass Dispel].
- Damage over time effects applied to the target will continue to count down when a target is Banished, but cause no damage.
- Recasting Banish on a target already afflicted by the spell will cancel the spell's effect.
- Mobs can be taunted during a Banish. Communicate to your tank when the effect is seconds away from wearing off, they will appreciate the notice as it will allow them to place a taunt effect on the mob and keep it from running out of melee range.
- If you are having problems with Banish breaking early then cast [Curse of the Elements] first. This will cause Banish to have a much greater chance of lasting its full duration.
- As with other crowd control abilities, it can be useful to employ the "Focus" system, especially using a macro such as this one.
- Cannot be used on warlocks using [Metamorphosis] or druids in [Incarnation: Tree of Life] form. Prior to Patch 4.0.1, Banish could be used against these players.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): Now effective against Aberrations.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Ranks removed. Banish can no longer be used against players who shapeshift into demon or elemental forms.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Effect will now be canceled if Banish is recast on a banished target.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Banish can no longer be cast on targets tapped by other players or groups.