Bear Form is the second shapeshift ability learned by a druid at level 8. This form has tank-like abilities, similar to a warrior. While in bear form, the druid's mana bar is replaced by a rage bar. The druid's armor contribution is upgraded to 120%, stamina increased by 40%, increases threat generation, causes Agility to increase attack power, and increases haste and critical strike from items by 50%.
Tips and tactics
- See also: Druid tactics
- As a druid, you really need to get a feel for when to change forms. Early on in the game, you may find it useful to cast a few long range spells, such as or , then change to bear form when an enemy gets close.
- Bear form is generally good to use against non-casters or those with higher armor, since you do higher melee damage, but at a slower attack speed.
- If you're not sure if you can handle your (melee) enemy(s) (i.e. higher level, may be adds), use bear form until you get a feel for the fight.
- Also, as a tank, bear form has a pretty reliable taunt to draw aggro away from more squishy party members.
- For details on tanking as a druid in raids, see the druids as tanks page.
- In Bear Form, or as a Druid in general, you cannot block or parry, so your only method of ignoring damage is through dodging. However keep in mind that you do not gain rage from dodging an attack.
- Each race has a distinct model for its Bear Forms, and there are five different textures for each model. These textures correspond to the skin tone of Tauren druids, or the hair color of the other races. Druids can change their design at any time by visiting a barbershop and choosing a new skin tone or hair color as appropriate for their race. Since there are more hair colors and skin tones than unique textures, some colors and tones will produce the same designs. The hair and skin colors chosen will, in most cases, correspond to the colors seen in the design of each form.
- Prior to 4.0.1, you had to complete the Bear Form quest chain, starting with the quest  to get Bear Form. It is now simply trainable at any druid trainer.
- Can only use Bear Form abilities, with the exception of , and .
- You are considered a beast, so abilities that target beasts can be used on you, for example and . On the flip side, abilities like won't.
- Shapeshifting breaks snare effects. As such, a much used principle is Powershifting, using /cast !Bear Form or alike, to instantly shift out and in, breaking snares at the cost of some mana and a global cooldown.
- Your caster form will start regaining mana immediately after you change to bear form, with a convenient extra mana bar displayed below the rage bar.
- You cannot parry or block in Bear Form, so your only method of ignoring damage is dodge, but you gain this much quicker than other tanks due to stacking agility.
- Druids in Bear Form generate 500% of the normal threat.
- Attack power is increased by 3x your level, but you lose the benefit of weapon DPS and any weapon +damage enchants.
- The attack speed in Bear Form is 2.50.
- The armor bonus is only applied to natural armor (received from white effects), and not item modifiers (enchantments, armor kits, etc).
Night Elf bear forms, including the orignial (seen at the bottom middle) that was used prior to Patch 3.2.
Tauren bear forms, including the orignial (seen at the bottom middle) that was used prior to Patch 3.2.
Troll bear forms.
Worgen bear forms.
Artwork used on the TCG card "Brutal Bear Form".
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now increases Stamina contribution from cloth and leather items by 40% (up from 20%).
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now also increases haste and critical strike from items by 50%, and sets Rage to 10 upon shapeshifting.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Now provides an armor bonus of 120% at all levels, up from 65% for characters below level 40, making it easier for lower level druids to tank dungeons, and now provides a Stamina bonus of 20%, up from 10%. Threat generated has been increased to 500% damage done, up from 300%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Now provides 10% bonus health, down from 20%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): The Bear Form quest chain is removed. Available at level 15 for 17 28.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04):
- New textures for bear models, adjustable at the barbershop.
- Mana energizes that occur while in this form will now appear in the combat log and floating combat text.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): The mana regeneration penalty when in Bear Form, and has been removed.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): The bonus health from shapeshifting into this form will again be removed correctly when shifting out of this form.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12):
- Shapeshifting will now counteract the slowing effects of frost-based spells (Frostbolt, Frost Shock, Cone of Cold, etc.).
- Druid shapeshift form buttons are no longer dimmed while under the effects of Polymorph.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Shapeshifting into an animal form will now remove Polymorph effects.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Armor bonus increased from 65% to 180%.