- For how the Blasted Lands was prior to Cataclysm, see Blasted Lands (original).
|Level: 55 - 60
Battle Pet Level: 16 - 17
This wasted desert of red clay is home to the original Dark Portal. The portal still stands, and for several years led to Outland — the remains of the orcs' sundered homeworld, Draenor - until it was reconfigured to lead towards the alternate past incarnation of that world, thirty-five years in the past. Nethergarde Keep, a Stormwind fortress of dour mages and paladins, and the Horde forces of former Rockard, now named Dreadmaul Hold keep watch over the portal and the demons and ogres that would abuse its power and send the aspiring warriors to aid the war effort, that is still raging on the other side.
Now, the wretched land hosts few inhabitants and no significant settlements. Magic that leaked through the Dark Portal warped the Blasted Lands, leaving an infertile desert landscape. Hardy desert species like Basilisks, Scorpions and Hyenas have since colonized the area. The red rocks of the region do not come by their color naturally. The original tan color was transmuted into the unearthly crimson by searing heat and chaotic energies when the Dark Portal was destroyed.
There is but one usable road in the Blasted Lands, guarded at the north by Nethergarde Keep’s grim mages. They have the unenviable task of watching the Dark Portal, guarding the rest of the continent from the demons in the south and protecting themselves from the ogre tribes that roam the desert, not to mention the arrival of Horde's Okril'lon forces during the Cataclysm. The weather here is dry and hot during the day and bitterly cold at night. Mountains block any moisture that may come from the Swamp of Sorrows to the north, and the only signs of life can be found within the Tainted Forest on the southwest, but it was corrupted by demonic powers that have taken hold over the mastermind behind the revitalization of the scorched scar, the Gilnean druid Marl Wormthorn. His followers have built a small fishing village, Surwich near the edge of the forest.
The conflict between the Alliance and Horde raged in the northern part of the region for a time, focused mainly on the Nethergarde's supply base located between Dreadmaul Hold and Nethergarde Keep. The Burning Legion forces were thrown into disarray after the defeat of Razelikh the Defiler at the hands of Loramus Thalipedes and a brave soul who accompanied him.
The next years have brought yet another danger towards Azeroth's very doorstep, when the history itself came full circle. The tampering with fabrics of time and space by Kairozdormu and Garrosh Hellscream in another timeline resulted in a catastrophic timeline collision, which bridged the altered past version of Draenor with current Azeroth, allowing the Ironmarch invasion force of the Iron Horde to come through the Dark Portal and occupy the land along with the vengeful Dreadmaul ogres.
This foul desert was once a dark fen of marshlands called the Black Morass; a sort of sub-region of the Swamp of Sorrows. This is the area where the orcish Horde first entered Azeroth through the Dark Portal, followed soon by their attack on the human lands to the northwest. The lands around the former Dark Portal are burnt and dead, forever warped by the powers that followed its destruction. Lightning strikes are constant, and the inhospitable land is home to groups of especially vicious and powerful creatures. A sizable remnant of the Burning Legion has taken refuge within the Tainted Scar. It is still watched over by the wizards of Dalaran within the Fortress of Nethergarde, established by the Archmage Khadgar after the second war. The unique and dangerous opportunities presented in such a harsh landscape has also attracted the notice of the Blood Elves and the Horde.
As if the Horde weren’t enough, Dreadmaul ogres also came through the Dark Portal. Unlike the orcs, they remained in the Blasted Lands. Nethergarde’s mages tell that the ogres serve Lord Kazzak. Whoever their master is, he orders them to attack the Alliance’s keep on an uncomfortably regular basis.
- Walk, Ride, or Fly south from the Swamp of Sorrows, which is East of Deadwind Pass and Duskwood.
- Portals are available to players at level 58 that go directly to the Dark Portal from the mage trainer areas of capital cities. (Portals are not available from Shattrath or Dalaran.)
Added in Patch 3.2
Portal to the Blasted Lands in Alliance capital cities:
- Wizard's Sanctum, Mage Quarter, Stormwind City
- The Mystic Ward, Ironforge
- Temple of the Moon, Darnassus
- The Vault of Lights, The Exodar
Portal to the Blasted Lands in Horde capital cities:
- Valley of Spirits, Orgrimmar
- Spirit Rise near Pools of Vision, Thunder Bluff
- Magic Quarter, The Undercity
- Sunfury Spire, Silvermoon City
This desolate and barren land has very little in the way of flora and fauna (the only exception is the Tainted Forest) barring the demons which now wander the plains. The region is particularly notable because the Dark Portal leading into Draenor, (formerly it led to Outland) can be found here.
There are no instanced dungeons or battlegrounds in this zone.
Maps and subregions
- Stormwind, Elwynn Forest
- Darkshire, Duskwood
- Morgan's Vigil, Burning Steppes
- Marshtide Watch, Swamp of Sorrows
- Surwich, Blasted Lands
Flight paths from Surwich
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Swamp of Sorrows||52-55||North||By foot or by flight|
|Hellfire Peninsula||58-63||South||Through the Dark Portal|
Quest and travel hubs
|Place Name||Faction||# of Quests||Flight Path||Notable Character|
- Main article: Blasted Lands NPCs
Blasted Lands has two dig sites:
- Dreadmaul Post; contains Fossil Archaeology Fragments.
- The Red Reaches; contains Fossil Archaeology Fragments.
- Fel beast (One, Gomegaz)
- Eredar (One, Narixxus the Doombringer) rare
- Floating eye (One, Illycor)
- Fungal giants
- Scorpid (One, Clack the Reaver) rare
- Shivarra (One, Shahandana)
- Bone spiders
- Those with the Burning Crusade and at least level 57 are able to use the now reopened Dark Portal to reach Hellfire Peninsula in Outland, although it is recommended to wait until level 58 as quests are very limited at 57. The Dark Portal, like Shattrath City, is a sanctuary and therefore combat there is prohibited, even between PvP flagged players.
- The occasional lightning that strikes the ground near the Dark Portal cannot hurt you in any way.
- There are no mailboxes for Horde players in this zone, while the Alliance have two.
This section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III.
- Patch 6.0.2 (Beta): The Iron Horde invasion has begun. New quests have been added for level 90 players.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.