Bloodsail Buccaneers reputation guide
This article covers several guides for gaining reputation with the Bloodsail Buccaneers.
Players attempting to gain Buccaneer reputation should be warned that this will cause significant reputation loss with the four goblin factions in the Steamwheedle Cartel: Booty Bay, Everlook, Gadgetzan, and Ratchet. The Being an enemy of the Steamwheedle Cartel has more information.
Sources of reputation
|Quests||500||Must be Hated with Booty Bay|
|25||Must be Hated with Booty Bay|
Booty Bay NPCs
|5-25||Found in Booty Bay, Faldir's Cove, and other Eastern Kingdoms locations|
Booty Bay Bruiser (level 90)
How to increase Bloodsail reputation
Other than a couple of one-time quests, the only way to increase your reputation with the Bloodsail Buccaneers is to unleash your wrath on any citizen of Booty Bay. The best places to do this are Faldir's Cove and Booty Bay. The level 90 Booty Bay Bruisers make it challenging to do so in Booty Bay; however, during a phasing event, Booty Bay becomes the most attractive location.
The easiest way to solo-farm Bloodsail Admiral reputation is during the phasing event.
NPCs of this faction in other places are not good for reputation because:
- Bogpaddle - These NPCs award no reputation when killed.
- Searing Gorge - These NPCs award no reputation when killed.
- The crew of The Maiden's Fancy (providing boat service to Ratchet) - These NPCs cannot be attacked.
- Northern Stranglethorn - Krazek and Drizzlik are worth only 5 reputation each.
The mobs in Faldir's Cove award a total of 70 reputation. Most of them respawn rather slowly, except Shakes O'Breen who awards 5 reputation and respawns every 15 seconds.
Reputation-granting mobs in Booty Bay are more numerous. The town is normally guarded by the devastating Booty Bay Bruisers. However, during the Bloodsail Buccaneers quest line, the town phases and is much easier to farm. Productive options for farming Bloodsail reputation, then, are as follows.
- Farm in Faldir's Cove only. This is slow, but easy.
- Farm in Booty Bay under normal circumstances. This is difficult to solo.
- Farm in Booty Bay while phased, just after completing . This is easy, and much faster than Faldir's cove. It is only possible if you have not yet completed the Booty Bay quests. Note that these quests were reset for the Cataclysm, so they will be available even if you completed all quests before.
A few people from Booty Bay will cause you to lose Steamwheedle Cartel reputation instead of Booty Bay reputation. This is a hidden reputation meter in the game, which cannot be seen with your four Goblin Steamwheedle Cartel factions and goes up and down independently of them. The only possible way to see this meter is when you reach a lower or higher level of faction status such as Friendly or Honored, as with any faction in the game. If you gain or lose Steamwheedle Cartel faction points, you lose that same amount with all four goblin towns. The loss of this faction is determined by your level in the faction meter and the importance of the NPC you kill.
With each mob that you kill, you will lose five times as much reputation with Booty Bay as you gain with Bloodsail Buccaneers, and you will lose half as much as you lost with each other faction of the Steamwheedle Cartel. This means that you will be hated with all four factions by the time you reach honored or better with the Bloodsail Buccaneers.
Farming Faldir's Cove
Faldir's Cove is located in southwest Arathi Highlands. A small contingent of Blackwater Raiders can be found there. They are aligned with Booty Bay and thus will award Bloodsail Buccaneers reputation when killed. They will give reputation up to 11999/12000 Honored.
|First Mate Nilzlix||25|
Shakes O'Breen respawns very quickly - about four times per minute. Lolo the Lookout cannot be attacked.
Farming Booty Bay (phased)
To enter the phased version of Booty Bay, go to "Sea Wolf" MacKinley and complete his two quests. Continue doing the quests of this line. You will infiltrate the Bloodsail Buccaneers, learn of a plot to attack Booty Bay, and then sabotage their mission. When you return to Baron Revilgaz, he will give you the quest .
The attack upon Booty Bay will commence. This is the time to stop doing quests. Using your reputation pane, set Booty Bay to "At War" and begin killing the inhabitants of the town.
Be careful not to attack any flight masters, because that's big trouble, and don't kill the auctioneers, as they award no reputation, drop no loot, and will flag you for PvP. All other attackable NPCs are fair game. You can attack the invading Brashtide Raiders (as long as they are in the city, not on a boat) without losing reputation with the Buccaneers.
The majority of the citizens of the town award 5 reputation, but several award 15 or 25:
- Bankers (2) - 25 each
- Baron Revilgaz - 25
- Grizlowe (on the dock) - 25
- Wharfmaster Lozgil (on the dock) - 15
In addition, shopkeepers tend to cluster in The Old Port Authority and outside the blacksmith's shop.
Booty Bay Bruisers award no reputation in this phase, but they are level 35 and pose little threat.
Farming Booty Bay (normal)
|Standing||Farm||Rep gained||Kill count|
|Hated 0-36000||Booty Bay Bruiser, Booty Bay Elite||25||1440|
|Hostile 0-3000||Booty Bay Bruiser, Booty Bay Elite||25||120|
|Unfriendly 0-3000||Booty Bay Bruiser, Booty Bay Elite||25||120|
|Neutral 0-3000||Booty Bay Bruiser, Booty Bay Elite||25||120|
|Friendly 0-6000||Booty Bay Bruiser, Booty Bay Elite||25||240|
|Honored 0-12000||Booty Bay Bruiser, Booty Bay Elite||25||480|
|Revered 0-21000||Booty Bay Bruiser, High Admiral "Shelly" Jorrik||25, 5||840, 4200|
|Exalted 0-999||Booty Bay Bruiser, High Admiral "Shelly" Jorrik||25, 5||40, 200|
- Note: Booty Bay Elites still give the same amount of reputation as Booty Bay Bruisers at Revered and Exalted.
As of patch 2.3, players who haven't interacted with the Bloodsail Buccaneers before are given a starting reputation of 35500 upon doing their first quest or action that affects their reputation with them, meaning you only need to kill 100 NPCs to get from hated to hostile if you haven't harmed your reputation with the Bloodsail before.
Booty Bay Bruisers are level 90, have 2.3 million health, and hit very hard. They are best farmed in a group. They also have the ability to use nets to lock you in place, preventing you from escaping. They spawn every time you attack a citizen of the city, or if you're under Unfriendly status with Booty Bay, the Bruisers can spawn if you enter a building. Because of this players can soon find themselves swarmed by Bruisers.
The Bruisers have a ranged knockback attack that can be quite difficult to deal with but currently they will not use this on a player unless they can't reach them due to being on a roof or a different level of the town. They will not use it if simply rooted in place by a spell. They also use it on players that PvP in Booty Bay while at neutral or lower reputation. It is not a huge concern for normal reputation farming but one has to be careful not to aggro a Bruiser that is on a higher or lower platform as sometimes they will start shooting instead of running up to melee range.
One safe place to kill Bruisers where this won't happen is if you follow the tunnel leading into the town and turn left onto the path that leads to the Blacksmith house. Only two guards patrol this path and normally don't pass each other that closely, allowing both to be dispatched separately. Once they are gone, one can simply enter the first building on the path to cause a guard to spawn if they are below Unfriendly, if not they can simply attack one of the two NPC in the build, both of which are not high in level. Doing this a player should be able to kill 2 to 4 Bruisers before the two patrolling Bruisers respawn. If you find your self in a bad situation, you can jump over the railing running along the path to the waters below and escape.
Below is a picture of the path detailed above, it’s best to sit where the path bends before the first build when you're resting, so you can have as much distance as possible when the two guards respawn.
Note: It's even easier if you are able to pull the Bruisers. You can pull them, then jump onto the roof that is pictured below. As long as you pull them from far enough away, you should have plenty of time to run to the roof before they net you in place. It's also a great place to eat/drink and not aggro any Bruisers that spawn.
- Not all houses/buildings are as friendly. Upon entering certain houses, will cause you to be swarmed with Booty Bay Bruisers, while other houses won't make any of the guards spawn. If you wish to find another place to kill the guards you will have to pay a few gold on repairs before finding a suitable one.
- It should be noted that Rogues can pick pocket these mobs for some silver, albeit a small amount.
Going from Honored to Exalted
Several quests grant reputation, and may be saved until later in the grind when reputation gains become more difficult:
High Admiral "Shelly" Jorrik continues to grant 5 reputation per kill even through exalted. He is accompanied by two Booty Bay Bruisers, out on Newman's Landing. He has a long respawn timer, and cannot feasibly be farmed.
Booty Bay Bruisers and Booty Bay Elites still continue to grant 25 reputation per kill through exalted.
If you have been grinding the reputation during the phased event, Fleet Master Firallon relocates to the ship just outside the bay, moored next to Janeiro's Point. This is where you need to go to pick up the two a fore mentioned quests once you hit the reputation requirements. If you track low level quests, you should be able to see him. There are no crew members on-board the ship. You will also be able to see his quest marker when you fly near the ship in his previous location, however, when you land on the deck of the ship, you will phase and the ship will be deserted.
In addition, if you have been grinding reputation when phased, you will remain in that phase until you have restored your Booty Bay reputation to Neutral or better. As a result, you will only be able to kill four of the level 90 Booty Bay Bruisers - those which can be attacked from outside Booty Bay, at the exit from the northern tunnel. These four goblins will supply you with the vast bulk of your post-revered reputation.
Being an enemy of the Steamwheedle Cartel
You will reach 0/36000 Hated status with Booty Bay way before becoming Friendly with the Bloodsail Buccaneers. Once you reach this milestone, you will no longer lose reputation with Booty Bay, as this is the lowest reputation you can get. You will continue to lose reputation with the other Steamwheedle Cartel factions, however, and by the end you will be Hated by all four of them. It's not just being unable to enter the four towns that will cause you problems, but also the inability to speak to any NPC whose allegiance belongs to the Cartel. Below is just small partial list of what is known to happen if you become an enemy of the Steamwheedle Cartel.
- The neutral auction houses will become completely unusable.
- It will be difficult to fly into or out of Gadgetzan or Booty Bay safely, as the Gryphon Masters and Wind Rider Masters at these towns, despite being unaffiliated with the Cartel, are guarded by Cartel bruisers. You can, however, still use the Everlook flight path without any problems, as it has no guards.
- Mudsprocket, Ratchet, and Un'Goro Crater flight points will be partially unusable, as the Flight Masters in these towns are affiliated with Cartel factions. Note that you can still fly into these locations as long as you know the flight point, and can fly over them when using connected flight paths. However, if you land in the towns or walk to them, you cannot fly back out.
- You will be unable to use the boat from Ratchet to Booty Bay safely.
- Lower-level Horde players cannot fly into or out of Flame Crest in the Burning Steppes safely as some of the NPCs there are loyal to Booty Bay and will attack you. However, once you outlevel these NPCs, you will not aggro them upon landing or approaching the Wind Rider Master.
- You will be cut off from the vast majority of quests in the four main Cartel towns of Booty Bay, Ratchet, Everlook, and Gadgetzan, as well as in Steamwheedle Port and Mudsprocket. Although some of the quest NPCs in these towns are not affiliated with the Cartel, it can still be hard to talk to them.
- You will be cut off from some quests in Un'Goro Crater, as the quest giver Shizzle is also from Gadgetzan.
- Cannot specialize in Blacksmithing as the quest chains to become an Armorsmith or a Weaponsmith both require you to speak to member of the Cartel.
- Cannot specialize in Engineering. Horde players will be unable to become Goblin and Gnomish engineers, and Alliance players will be unable to become Goblin engineers.
Things to avoid while gaining Bloodsail reputation
Some things are obvious, like doing any quests for Booty Bay questgivers, but some may not be so obvious.
- Any of the 00X chicken escort quests, even just turning in the beacons with the broken chickens. You lose 500 rep with Bloodsail by just turning in the beacon with the chicken in Feralas.
- Any quests in Faldir's Cove.
How to restore your standing with the Steamwheedle Cartel
Regaining reputation with the Steamwheedle Cartel can be tedious. The following are ways to regain reputation with them:
Betray the Bloodsail Buccaneers
By far this is the fastest way to improve a players standing with Booty Bay and the other Steamwheedle Cartel towns. The obvious downside for this method, however, is that your Bloodsail Buccaneer reputation will be driven down to zero, taking away all that you had gained earlier.
Fleet Master Firallon is worth 25 Booty Bay reputation points per kill, along with each named Bloodsail Buccaneer worth 5 points, leaving all normal members of the faction such as Bloodsail Raiders worth 1 point each. A level 60 can easily make quick work of entire ship of Bloodsail NPC, and with help of other 60s one could cut in half the time it takes to raise Booty Bay reputation back to Friendly status. Along with this is the fact that Bloodsail Buccaneers drop decent loot for their level, which isn’t found in other methods to increase Booty Bay reputation.
Destroy the Competition
The goblins working for the Venture Company in Stranglethorn give 5 reputation each for Booty Bay, no change to Bloodsail reputation. However, there are not enough of these enemies in any one place to make them worth farming extensively.
Venture Co. Evacuees can be found on a ship in Venture Bay in the Grizzly Hills. They give 5 reputation with Booty Bay (Stragglers do not seem to give reputation) and as they are Level 73, they are a good way to grind reputation for high-level characters.
Waste the Wastewanders
A way around losing the Bloodsail rep, is to attack the Wastewanders in Tanaris, as it gives you Gadgetzan Rep, without the loss of Bloodsail Rep. As of Patch 4.0.1, Wastewander mobs are found only in the Eastmoon Ruins of Tanaris, so farming them is not as efficient as some other methods. They also drop , which used to be a rep turn-in item with Gadgetzan, but isn't any longer.
Slaughter the Southsea Freebooters
Until you're revered with Ratchet and Gadgetzan, this is the fastest way to improve your Steamwheedle reputations without damaging your Bloodsail Buccaneers reputation.
As of Patch 4.0.1, there is currently one location where these Southsea Freebooter mobs can be found: Lost Rigger Cove, southeast of Gadgetzan. The mobs here are around level 40, and give give Gadgetzan rep (plus spillover).
These pirates offer only 5 rep each (25 for named mobs), but are easy for a level 90 to slaughter en masse. These pirates also drop cloth, so you can gather this for the relevant Turn-in Quests listed below, if you don't mind that those quests reduce Bloodsail Buccaneers reputaton. They are weak, numerous, and respawn fast enough for it to be possible to kill mobs non-stop, for more than 1800 spillover rep per hour.
Computing how much reputation you will need to hit exalted with all four Steamwheedle Cartel factions can be a bit tricky, as different areas have different maximum levels of reputation they will grant. For example, the Venture Co. mobs in Stranglethorn grant Booty Bay reputation to a maximum of honored +11999. Similarly, the pirates in Lost Rigger Cove grant Gadgetzan reputation to a maximum of honored +11999. The spillover reputation does not seem to be affected by these maximums, however, as you can earn reputation with Ratchet well into revered by killing the pirates in Lost Rigger Cove, even though you may have already maxed out your Gadgetzan reputation there.
There are two quests in the dungeon Zul'Farrak that each give you 500 reputation with the Steamwheedle Cartel, without lowering Bloodsail Buccaneers reputation:
The NPCs that start these quests are not aligned with the Steamwheedle Cartel, and will be friendly to you regardless of your reputation.
Rep Repair Quests
With the 1.11 content patch, it has become easy to regain reputation by turning in 40 of different kinds of cloth (Depending on the member of cartel you're raising reputation with) + 4 inexpensive vendor bought items near each goblin town. You will gain 500 reputation with the appropriate faction (with 250 spill over to the other goblin factions) and lose 500 reputation with the Bloodsail Buccaneers. These quests are only available if your reputation is below neutral with the town in question.
If you are completely hated with all Steamweedle factions (36000 Rep) you need to turn in the following amounts of stacks (this will get you to neutral):
- Ratchet (Non-Human): 168 Stacks of Linen and 336 Empty Vials.
- Ratchet (Human): 152 Stacks of Linen and 304 Empty Vials.
- Booty Bay: 84 Stacks of Silk and 168 Red Dye.
- Gadgetzan: 42 Stacks of Mageweave and 84 Strong Flux.
- Everlook: 22 Stacks of Runecloth and 44 coal.
If you turn this all in you will be Honored with Ratchet, Friendly with Booty Bay, Neutral with Gadgetzan and Neutral with Everlook, due to spill over.
- Ratchet: 9500 into Honored (60500 rep gained)
- Booty Bay: 5000 into Friendly (50000 rep gained)
- Gadgetzan: 2750 into Neutral (44750 rep gained)
- Everlook: 250 into Neutral (42250 rep gained)
Due to spill over, you will have to turn in half as much with each successive town. Also, you should compare prices on the turn ins. Due to Burning Crusade coming out, I found Runecloth to be far cheaper than Mageweave at the time, and Coal is 1/4th the price of Strong Flux (5s vs 20s without faction discounts), so I ended up doing Everlook 3rd and Gadgetzan 4th.
If you don't like to waste turn-ins, just turn in each quest 34 times (if you do all 4 quests once you get 1250 reputation with every faction, 42000/1250=33.6).
- At unfriendly they will no longer attack you on sight.
- At neutral Patch 1.11 added for boots, pants, shirt (chest) and belt.
- At friendly you can get the quests and .
- The reward for completing the quest is the which can be both worn and used to summon a Blood Parrot pet.
- You will also be able to open any of their treasure chests without being attacked.
- As of patch 3.1, becoming honored with the Bloodsail Buccaneers is a requirement for the Insane in The Membrane Feat of Strength (which will award you with the title of The Insane).
- In patch 3.0, players who have completed the quest will be awarded the title of, "Bloodsail Admiral," through the new Achievement system.