- "You won't get loot from challenge modes: there's no stopping for loot, so there's none of that — I know anybody who's done the Amani War Bear, um, remembers the drama of, 'But I wanna loot!', 'But we got 15 seconds! Gogogogogo!'"
- —Patrick Magruder, Lead Software Engineer, MoP Behind the Scenes
Challenge Mode is a new, advanced mode for 5-player dungeons designed for players looking for the ultimate test of coordination and skill. In challenge modes, players are tasked with trying to complete an existing 5-player dungeon as quickly and skillfully as possible.
Depending on how well the group does, players will receive recognizable prestige rewards such as mounts, pets, titles, achievements, or special armor artwork that can be used with transmogrification to customize a character's appearance. Players who obtain a realm-best time in a Challenge Mode dungeon (group must contain at least 3 people from the same realm to qualify) will receive a temporary title specific to each dungeon (e.g. <Siegebreaker> for Siege of Niuzao Temple, <Darkmaster> for Scholomance, etc.). This title will persist for as long as a player retains the top time on the realm. Holding a realm-best time at any point will also confer a permanent Feat of Strength to record the accomplishment.
Players can view the current leader boards for each eligible dungeon in the "Community" section of the official site. Boards can be viewed for a specific realm or for the entire region.
|Temple of the Jade Serpent||Gold||00:15:00||60|
|Gate of the Setting Sun||Gold||00:13:30||60|
|Siege of Niuzao Temple||Gold||00:19:00||60|
- Timed dungeons runs to earn medals - Bronze, Silver and Gold.
- It will work only on Pandaria dungeons at the beginning.
- While times and leaderboards can be accessed through the Dungeon Finder tool, Challenge Modes cannot be queued for.
- Gear will be normalized, everyone is going to have the exact same item level on their gear. This is a skill based exercise and gear doesn't matter.
- Rewards will be very awesome looking gear for Transmogrification purposes (no stats). Players will also earn since the goal is to let players progress your characters no matter what they choose to do.
- Leaderboards will be available, to compare performances with guildies or even the entire realm!
- Challenge Modes will require you to be on the same server as other players.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Players who obtain a realm-best time in a Challenge Mode dungeon (group must contain at least 3 people from the same realm to qualify) will receive a temporary title specific to each dungeon (e.g. <Siegebreaker> for Siege of Niuzao Temple, <Darkmaster> for Scholomance, etc.). This title will persist for as long as a player retains the top time on the realm. Holding a realm-best time at any point will also confer a permanent Feat of Strength to record the accomplishment.
- Hotfix (2013-06-21): "Resetting a Challenge Mode will now reset the cooldowns for Invisibility and Lesser Invisibility Potions."
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): Cooldown timers greater than 5 minutes will now reset between attempts on Challenge Mode dungeons.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.
- ^ Paladin and Priest Challenge Mode Gear, Dev Interviews, Blue Posts, Blizzard News. MMO-Champion (2012-09-20). Retrieved on 2012-09-20.