Chimaeron was altered and remade by Nefarion, a gruesome nightmare twisted from its original form.
Terrifying. Ugly. Evil. Kill it.
- Finkle Einhorn — Finkle Einhorn, gnome explorer extraordinare, has been captured by Nefarian and cannot be freed from his cage until Chimaeron is slain. A player can talk to Finkle before the fight begins to convince him to activate his Bile-O-Tron, which helps keep the raid alive. Activating the Bile-O-Tron also wakes Chimaeron.
Stage One: Truly Something to Behold
Chimaeron attacks his current target with Break and Double Attack, while continually spraying Caustic Slime at the raid. He periodically casts Massacre on the raid, and his heads sometimes Feud following a Massacre.
- Caustic Slime — Deals 280000 Nature damage and briefly reduces chance to hit for all enemies in an area. Damage is split between all enemies within 6 yards of the impact crater.
- Massacre — Inflicts maximum damage to all enemy players.
- Feud — Chimaeron is unable to perform melee attacks while his heads are fighting each other. On Heroic, Nefarius interrupts Feud a few seconds in to the channel.
- Break — Chimaeron attacks viciously, breaking through his target's defenses. Increases Physical damage taken by 25% and reduces healing done by 15% for 1 min. Stacks to 4. Notice that this is healing done (e.g. selfheals), not healing taken from healers.
- Double Attack — Chimaeron will strike twice on his next attack. Buff gained when Break is applied.
Stage Two: A Horrific Creation
At 20% health Chimaeron goes into a rage. This renders him immune to Taunt effects and greatly decreases healing done by players.
- Mortality — Chimaeron goes into a rage, rendering him immune to Taunt effects but increasing the damage he takes by 10%. Reduces healing effects for all enemies by 99%.
- Double Attack — Chimaeron will strike twice on his next attack.
- Mocking Shadows — Inflicts 2,000 Shadow damage every second to all enemies. The raid is afflicted with this at the same time as Mortality and persists until the fight ends.
Simple in concept but more difficult in execution, Chimaeron is a gear check boss. There are three basic phases to the fight.
Chimaeron will wake up after a certain amount of time has passed from the activation of the Bile-o-Tron, although most groups will attack him before he wakes on his own.
When the Bile-o-Tron is online the raid will spread out. The buff will protect players from being one shot by Caustic Slime and Massacre. Healers need only heal people above 10,000 HP. Tanks will have to taunt off of each other after 2-3 stacks of Break.
When the Bile-o-Tron is knocked offline by Massacre, Chimaeron's heads will begin fighting each other but will still cast Caustic Slime. Thus the raid will stack up on top of eachother and will need to be healed as much as possible. AoE heals such as and help. Especially if they are stacked. When the Bile-o-Tron comes back online the raid should spread out again. It should be noted that the Bile-o-Tron is not guaranteed to be knocked out with each Massacre, although the chance increases with each Massacre the Bile-o-Tron "survives".
At 20% HP Chimaeron will become untauntable, take extra damage and apply a debuff to the raid reducing healing done by 99%. At this point it's a "simple" burn. He won't cast Caustic Slime or Massacre anymore, and you will still have the Bile-o-Tron. Save all cooldowns for this phase. Everybody attacks the boss, healers included. Throw everything you have at him to bring him down.
Chimaeron regularly performs a Double Attack. This is designed to destroy any one-tank strategy. With enough stacks of Break the first attack knocks the tank below 10K health, and the second attack kills the tank. Avoidance can prevent this in some cases, but luck will eventually turn and kill the tank.
To work around this you can employ a Break tank and an off-tank. One tank takes Chimaeron most of the time, but immediately before a Double Attack (which happens after a Break application) the off tank taunts Chimaeron and absorbs the Double Attack. The off-tank will often be knocked down to 1 health by the Double Attack. Healers must be ready to rescue him. The Break tank taunts it back after a few seconds. The off-tank should be restored to full health before he taunts. If the off-tank is not at full health cooldowns can be used to improve survivability during the Double Attack.
The above strategy causes the Break tank to build to 4 stacks of Break and thus take +100% damage for much of the fight. Another tactic that is suitable for better geared tanks is to swap tanks whenever there is a Break and the off-tank has lost his Break stacks. This prevents Break from stacking to 4, but requires the tanks to absorb some Double Attacks while under the effect of Break.
Offline phase details
Every few massacres, the Bile-O-Tron gets knocked offline and Chimaeron stats casting "Feud". This is the timing of the events:
- -4s: Massacre starts casting
- 0s: Bile-O-Tron offline, Chimaeron casting Feud
- 0.1s: Massacre damage becomes visible to players ("it hits")
- 15s: First AoE pulse
- 20s: 2nd AoE pulse
- 25s: Last AoE pulse
- 26s: Feud finishes with 4 seconds remaining on the cast. Massacre starts casting again
- 30.1s: Massacre damage becomes visible to players ("it hits")
- 34.8s: First melee hit on tank (assuming 20% swing speed slow applied on top of his base 4s swing timer)
- Finkle Einhorn yells: Help! I'm trapped in here.
- Finkle Einhorn yells: Hey, over here!
- Finkle Einhorn yells: A little help?
- Speaking to Finkle Einhorn
Leaping Leper Gnomes! You're a sight for sore eyes. I was worried the giant magma worm out front would deter visitors. Now that you're here you can give me a hand.
What? Of course not! I could easily escape this simple contraption, but I'm much too busy. See, a while back I spent a few months inside the belly of a beast...
It wasn't strictly voluntary, but I discovered something truly incredible. The beast seemed to be able to consume almost anything with no ill effects.
Exactly. I ran some tests on the residual digestive fluid coating my suit and...
<Finkle trails off>
Say, you haven't seen my skinning knife anywhere, have you? I seem to have misplaced it.
No, I, uh, haven't seen it. You were saying?
Oh yes, the bile; it's amazing stuff. With the proper catalysts it renders anything to which it's applied practically immortal*. I've been harvesting it with my reprogrammed Bile-O-Tron 800 and I'm certain I've got the mixture right this time. I just need a few volunteers to test it out against a suitable creature. What do you say, friend?
- Immortality subject to certain restrictions.
Oops! That lever activates the Bile-O-Tron. Oh, and if you happen to come across a key...
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Ah, Chimaeron, truly a living testament to my scientific prowess. I reworked and twisted his form countless times over the years, and the final result is truly something to behold.
- Bile-O-Tron offline
- Finkle Einhorn yells: Poor little fella.
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Oh, you were expecting something else to happen just then, weren't you? Let's see how you adapt after a new set of adjustments, shall we?
- Mocking Shadows
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: This fight has gotten a bit stale; allow me to spice things up!
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Stop fighting yourself this instant, Chimaeron!
- Death on normal difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Impressive! You managed to destroy one of my most horrific creations - a task I'd thought impossible until now.
- Death on heroic difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Hmm... A shame to lose that experiment.
- Finkle Einhorn yells: Great job guys! The key should be in his guts somewhere. Just, uh, fish around in there 'till you find it.
- Cause and Effect, on screen guide, voice chat, low in game sound
- MrGelowe Post Patch 4.2
- A New Hope
- World first heroic kill on 25-man achieved 22.12.2010 by 'Method of Xavius Europe.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28):
- Health has been reduced by 20% and melee damage has been reduced by 10%.
- Chimaeron will now only cast two caustic slimes per 30-second cycle.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): The Bile-O-Tron 800 in the Chimaeron encounter is now more resistant to being knocked offline many times in rapid succession.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08):
- Chimaeron shouldn't enter phase 2 prematurely.
- Chimaeron thought he had 3 heads, resulting in 3 separate sleeping animations. He now knows he only has 2 heads.
- Hotfix (2011-01-18): "
- The damage of Chimaeron's Caustic Slime has been reduced for both raid sizes and dungeon difficulties.
- Chimaeron will not cast Caustic Slime on Feral tanks in Bear Form unless there aren't enough non-tank specialized targets available. This fix applies to Magmaw's targeting functionality as well."
- Hotfix (2011-01-05): "Chimaeron now resets his melee attack cycle after each Massacre and removes the Double Attack buff."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.