Master of Honor Hold (currently)
Danath Trollbane is a member of the House of Trollbane, the royal family of Stromgarde. During the Second War, he served as a captain in the Stromgarde militia and later as tactical advisor and second-in-command to General Turalyon, the Alliance supreme commander, during the Alliance Expedition to Draenor. Since the sealing of the Dark Portal, he has been the master of Honor Hold, the Expedition's headquarters in Hellfire Peninsula.
With the death and corruption of Prince Galen Trollbane, the heir to the throne of Stromgarde, Danath is believed by some to be the legitimate leader of the fallen kingdom, and they await his return from Outland.
The military commander of Stromgarde at the beginning of the Second War, he became the tactical advisor to General Turalyon during the war. Danath was made famous for leading the armies of Stromgarde in the final fight for Khaz Modan. His status as a great general and fighter elevated him to the position of Overseer at the orcish internment camp system in Azeroth, based at New Stormwind.
Beyond the Dark Portal
This section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft II.
Danath was called to reinforce Nethergarde Keep when the Horde reopened the Dark Portal. Taking half of the standing forces in Stormwind, Danath headed out to Nethergarde where he was ambushed by the death knights and the new Warsong Clan. Knowing that the Horde was going to win the battle, the men sacrificed themselves so Danath could warn Khadgar, the wizard in charge of Nethergarde. Against his wish to stay with his men, Danath could not let their sacrifices be in vain and galloped to Nethergarde where they were under siege by the Warsong led by Grom Hellscream until they were relieved by his friend and commander, General Turalyon. Danath would never forget the guilt for leading and then leaving his "boys" as he called them to be slaughtered.
When Ner'zhul took the Book of Medivh, among other items, to Draenor, Danath joined the Alliance Expedition as second in command and the tactical advisor to General Turalyon. After taking Hellfire Citadel, Danath led half of the Expedition along with the Kurdran Wildhammer's Gryphon Riders and half of Alleria's rangers led by Talthressar (who became his advisor) after Ner'zhul; while the rest went after the items. During the chase, Kurdran was struck down by Ner'zhul. Enraged with the loss of his friend, Danath relentlessly pursued the Horde and was determined to launch a full attack at once on Auchindoun where the Horde had taken refuge, but at the urging by Talthressar he quickly calmed down.
As they waited, Talthressar and Danath encountered the arakkoa Grizzik. Learning that Kurdran was still alive, Danath quickly followed Grizzik as he led them into the tunnels of the Auchindoun. There Danath met the draenei priest Nemuraan. Convincing the draenei that they were going to rid the ancient temple of the orcs, Nemuraan aided them by calling the ancient draenei spirits and leading them into the tunnels. With the aid of his newfound allies, Danath led the Alliance against the orcs there where the humans, elves and dwarves would fight for the first time along side the draenei who would one day become members of the Alliance.
After rescuing Kurdran, Danath comes face to face with the renowned orc chieftain Kilrogg Deadeye: who barred the way to Ner'zhul. After fighting a fierce but honorable duel, Danath slew the great orc warrior, but the delay had given Ner'zhul enough time to escape.
Parting from his new friends, Danath rejoined Turalyon and laid siege to the Black Temple where Ner'zhul was opening new portals. When the planet was starting to tear itself apart, Danath and his friends defended Khadgar against overwhelming forces while the mage closed the Dark Portal to Azeroth. Then, with the rest of the expedition, he disappeared into one of the rifts Ner'zhul created to escape the dying world of Draenor.
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Danath and his men survived the cataclysm that created Outland and now reside at Honor Hold, which has stood since before the sealing of the Portal. Honor Hold was left to its own devices in the battle against the Burning Legion and the fel orcs of Magtheridon, until Lord Kazzak reopened the Portal decades later. Danath, along with the rest of the Alliance forces, was presumed to be dead by those that remained on Azeroth. It turned out that many of them were still alive, including Danath. With General Turalyon missing, Danath has taken up leadership of the Sons of Lothar in Turalyon's absence. Reunited with the Alliance, he has welcomed the much-needed supplies and reinforcements from Stormwind and Nethergarde.
Through these reinforcements, Danath has learned of the fate of his beloved Stromgarde, destroyed during the events of the Third War. Once his duty in Outland is done, Danath wishes to return to Stromgarde and restore it to its former glory.
Danath is the last of the five leaders of the expedition to remain at Honor Hold. Khadgar settled in Shattrath after his journeys to other worlds. Kurdran and most of his Wildhammer brethren set up a base in Shadowmoon Valley. Danath has not heard from Turalyon or Alleria in over a decade.
Turalyon and Alleria's son Arator, accompanying the Alliance reinforcements, visited Danath and wanted to find his parents. He told him that his father is missing.
Force Commander Danath Trollbane is a level 65 quest giver located at Honor Hold in Hellfire Peninsula. He sends Alliance adventurers on quests across the peninsula and into Hellfire Citadel to do battle with the fel orcs under Warchief Kargath Bladefist. He is involved in the following quests:
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Danath's possible return to Stromgarde is hinted at when players speak to Skuerto in Cataclysm: "I'm sick of sittin' in this hole. I hope whatever sorry pencil-pusher is holdin' up Danath's return gets a punch in the jimmies."
Valley of Heroes Monument
We honor your memory, nephew, and your sacrifice. Since the founding of our glorious empire, the path to valor has always been drenched with the blood of heroes.
- Thoras Trollbane, Lord of Stromgarde
When Deathwing decended upon Stormwind City after his violent exit from Deepholm, Danath's monument was toppled into the moat. Only the feet remain standing on its pedestal. Foreman Wick and Mason Goldgild have once again been hired to set it back in place. As of Patch 4.0.3a, they've already retrieved the statue from the water.
Despite the apparent difficulties Foreman Wick and Mason Goldgild had with the statue (and each other), Danath's statue was returned to it's former splendor in Patch 5.2.0, alongside most of the other superficial damages that Deathwing caused.
For Danath's Warcraft II quotes, see Quotes of Warcraft II#Danath.
- I am Danath Trollbane, commander of the Alliance army. I have slain many orcs, and you won't be the last. And I will pass!
Honor Hold, Hellfire Peninsula
- The men and women of Honor Hold have shed such blood and have lost their youth in this monstrous land... and yet they still hold their spirits high!
- Now, you and your cohorts from Azeroth can help us turn the tide. You give us hope that we may one day return to our homelands.
- Many years ago, my men and I followed the wizard Khadgar and the paladin Turalyon to this world. Our sole aim was to annihilate the orcs and their vile kin. Yet something when terribly wrong in the final hours of our war.
- Ultimately, this dark world was ripped asunder - and my dear friends were lost to the void.
- We, the Sons of Lothar, have remained here ever since - fighting... dying... praying that a day like today would come - a day when the Portal would open and our brothers would come to deliver us home.
- Overjoyed as we are, duty still calls. There is much to be done before we can depart this world and take our rest.
- Romus informed me of the tragedies that beset my beautiful city. There are no fitting words for the sorrow I felt upon hearing of Lordaeron's fate - and the fate of my own, beloved Stromgarde.
- Twenty years ago, no one had heard of the Burning Legion... Damn those cursed devils! [sic]
- Rest assured, <name>; should I ever return to Azeroth, Stromgarde will once more rise as a force of reckoning. This I swear...
- The Fall of Magtheridon
- The feast of corruption is no more! Magtheridon has fallen to the battle prowess of <name> and <his/her> allies! Witness the might of the Alliance! A pit lord commander is destroyed!
- Hear me brothers and sisters-in-arms! The time of our enemies is at an end! We must strike at the fel orcs that remain! Exterminate them like the vermin that they are! Carry with you the favor of the Sons of Lothar!
A portrait of Danath as seen in the cancelled Warcraft Adventures.
- is among the coins that can be fished up from the Dalaran Fountain. "I hope a troll dies, right... NOW."
His TCG image shows him wielding a sword exact to Trol'kalar. Since the depiction of Trol'kalar came from a RPG book, it is unknown if TCG's is meant to be Trol'kalar.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.
- ^ Skuerto#Quotes
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide
- ^ Warcraft II Beyond the Dark Portal manual
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron; Christie Golden. Beyond the Dark Portal, 322. ISBN 978-1-4165-5086-0.
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron; Christie Golden. Beyond the Dark Portal, 317. ISBN 978-1-4165-5086-0.
- ^ Arthaus. Shadows & Light, 29. ISBN 9781588469731.
- ^ Arthaus. World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, 44. ISBN 9781588467812.
Leader of the Sons of Lothar
Galen Trollbane (alone)
Ruler of Stromgarde?