- For the pre-Cataclysm instance and associated lore, see Deadmines (original).
|VC, DM, DMVC|
|The Deadmines loading graphic|
|End boss||"Captain" Cookie (normal)
Vanessa VanCleef (heroic)
|Advised level||15 - 21 (normal)
The Deadmines are expansive, winding tunnels dug out under Westfall and part of northwestern Stranglethorn Vale. It is the lowest-level Alliance instance, and is populated by members of the Defias Brotherhood. Its entrance can be accessed in the town of Moonbrook in southwestern Westfall, while its exit is located in the western part of the Dagger Hills near the ocean.
Prior to the First War, the Deadmines were the greatest gold-production center in human lands. It is said the Deadmines' gold deposits once accounted for a third of Stormwind's treasure reserves. However, they were abandoned during the First War. During that time, Lord Lothar ventured into the perilous Deadmines on a quest to obtain the but was captured by a band of ogres and held captive for 20 months. He was ultimately rescued and successful in his mission. It was also to the dungeons below the Deadmines to which Blackhand's daughter Griselda fled with the ogre Turok. Both were slain by an orcish raid. At that time, many slimes inhabited the dungeons but have not been encountered lately. Amid the chaos of the First War, the mines were abandoned and later thought to be haunted, leaving them relatively untouched until the Defias Brotherhood — a group of former laborers turned brigands - claimed the labyrinth as a base of operations. Their ambitious leader, Edwin VanCleef, was constructing a juggernaught at the bottom of the mines with the aid of the goblins. His plans were stopped by the Alliance militia and Edwin himself was killed and beheaded.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Edwin's daughter, Vanessa, had officially become the leader of the Defias and started putting her father's original plan back into action. She began to continue building the Juggernaut and hired new "employees". With all the chaos going on in Azeroth due to the Cataclysm, she had the best time to plot and avenge her father by assaulting Stormwind. The dungeon was updated to reflect current events and gained a Heroic mode for level 85 players. There are Goblin Teleporters scattered throughout the instance, usable only when the boss of the particular room they are located in is killed. Once unlocked, they can send players to either Ironclad Cove, the Mast Room, or the Goblin Foundry. The Goblin Transporter located at the beginning room with the quest givers only sends players further into the instance; it does not function as a destination point.
It is said the Deadmines' gold deposits once accounted for a third of Stormwind's treasure reserves. Amid the chaos of the First War, the mines were abandoned and later thought to be haunted, leaving them relatively untouched until the Defias Brotherhood -- a group of former laborers turned brigands -- claimed the labyrinth as a base of operations for its subversive activities against Stormwind.
To get there, go to the barn in Westfall.You can also check out the video down below.
|Mast Room · Goblin Foundry · Ironclad Cove|
Goblin Foundry, Ironclad Cove
|Quest name||Quest giver|
- Harvest golems
- Murlocs (one, "Captain" Cookie)
- Ogre magi (one, Glubtok)
- Rats (Critters)
- Steam elementals
- Fire elementals
- Ice elementals
The following bosses are present in Deadmines:
You start the instance off with several Kobold Diggers and an Ogre Henchman. Use the Defias Cannon to DPS them down, first kill the Koblods, then the Ogre. Pull the next wave of mobs back to near the cannon, and use the same tactic. Go ahead and take down the two Ogre Bodyguards, you can use the previous tactic if need be. Now you will meet the first boss, Glubtok. For tactics and strategies on how to kill him, go to his page.
Tunnel till Mast Room
Now you will meet Goblin Overseers and Mine Bunnies. Make sure you do not pull the patrolling Mine Bunnies. While in this tunnel, break the chain tied to the Mining Monkeys and if you do not do this, make sure you do not attack them. After you kill several goblins, you will meet an Oaf Lackey and then two Oaf Lackeys, just dispose of them quickly. Now you will meet the second boss, Helix Gearbreaker. For tactics and strategies on how to kill him, go to his page.
Tunnel till Goblin Foundry
Now you will meet Defias Envokers, Defias Miners and Defias Diggers. Make sure you CC one of these mobs when pulling a wave, preferably the Envoker. Be sure to interrupt the spell Holy Fire (cast by the Envoker). Now, if you want, a DPS can mount on the Prototype Reaper and attack the mobs which are very simple. Now you will meet the third boss, Foe Reaper 5000. For tactics and strategies on how to kill him, go to his page.
Tunnel till Ironclad Cove
Now you will meet Defias Blood Wizards, Defias Enforcers and Defias Shadowguards. Make sure you CC one of these mobs when pulling a wave. Be sure to enter those red circles (Rage Zones) to increase your damage given. Use the same tactic for these mobs. After you pass the Iron Clad Door you must be careful when crossing the wooden platform, as cannonballs will be being shot from the juggernaught onto the platform.The parrots on the platform are simple. Once you get onto the ship you will meet Defias Pirates and Defias Squallshapers. Be sure to interrupt the spell Seaswell (cast by the Squallshaper). Make sure you use the cannons situated on the ship. Now you will meet the fourth boss, Admiral Ripsnarl, the fifth boss, "Captain" Cookie and sixth and last boss, Vanessa VanCleef. For tactics and strategies on how to kill these bosses, go to their pages. For information on the nightmare gauntlet, go to Vanessa’s page.
- "Deadmines loot" redirects here. For the pre-Cataclysm instance loot, see Deadmines loot (original).
Notes, Tips, & Additional Info
- It was commonly known as "VC" (named for its previous final boss, VanCleef) to avoid confusion with another instance (Dire Maul) that shares the more obvious initials. Since the release of Heroic Deadmines and loss of Shen'dralar reputations, however, the abbreviation DM almost exclusively refers to Deadmines.
- If you travel to a small cove north of Yojamba Isle (in northwestern Northern Stranglethorn), you can see a large water gate which leads to the docks inside Deadmines. However, you cannot enter or leave through this. Interestingly, inside the Deadmines this gate exists to the North, but outside the gates exit to the south.
- Very popular video which won the Rise to Power contest was based on The Deadmines and its (old) bosses.
- Full Dungeon Guide (normal)
- Deadmines Heroic - Dungeon Guide and Commentary
- How to find your way into the Deadmines instance (normal and heroic)
- ★ WoW Instance: Heroic Deadmines guide! (Rurikhan) as Holy Paladin - TGN.TV
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Vanessa VanCleef (Heroic difficulty) now has a sweet, sweet voice to accompany her dialog.
- Hotfix (2011-01-05): "
- Heroic Deadmines now has significantly less trash mobs.
- The mechanical nightmare section of the Vanessa VanCleef encounter has less sparks of doom, and is notably easier and faster to navigate.
- Vapors in the Ripsnarl encounter now increase in power every 8 seconds, up from 6."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added. Replaced the original Deadmines dungeon..