The Dungeon Journal, sometimes referred to as the Encounter Journal, was introduced in Patch 4.2.0. It lists the phases, abilities, and loot of bosses in both raid instances and dungeons. Notably, the journal does not directly specify tactics to overcome the abilities, leaving the players to figure out the encounter strategy on their own. Each expansion has its own background color.
Alerts are small icons that bring attention to more important abilities, effects, or even mobs during encounters within the Dungeon Journal.
The following icons and what they generally mean:
- Heroic Only - Only happens during heroic modes.
- Deadly - An ability that can likely kill its target.
- Important - Something important, or requiring immediate attention.
- Tank Alert - A creature the tank should be aware of.
- DPS Alert - A creature the DPS should make their focus.
- Healer Alert - Healers should be more attentive during this ability.
- Interruptable - An ability that can be interrupted.
- Magic Effect - A removable magic effect.
- Curse Effect - A removable curse effect.
- Poison Effect - A removable poison effect.
- Disease Effect - A removable disease effect.
- Enrage - When the boss enrages.
The Bastion of Twilight in the Encounter Journal
Siamat's Loot in the Encounter Journal
Lord Rhyolith in the Encounter Journal
- Patch 6.0.2 (Beta): Warlords of Draenor dungeons, raids and World bosses added.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10):
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Dungeon Journal has been reorganized. The model view has moved into a sub-tab and replaced with a listing of bosses for the dungeon or raid, and no duplicates of instances.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05):
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28):
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): End Time, Well of Eternity, Hour of Twilight, Alizabal and Dragon Soul added.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Added.