The term emote means to express emotion. In MMORPGs, emotes make your character express emotion.
In World of Warcraft, you can make your character "emote" by using predefined slash commands. These commands generate a chat message (typically in a special color) that describes what your character is doing. This chat message is often accompanied by audio and some character action.
For example, using the /thanks command, text displays ("Character thanks target."), an audio file is played (character voice: "Thank you."), and a character animation occurs (character gesticulates).
There are 5 kinds of emotes in World of Warcraft:
- Text only
- Text + Vocalization
- Text + Character Animation
- Text + Vocalization + Character Animation
- Vocalization + Character Animation
Creating your own emotes
First, you can create your own emotes using /e
/e (The emote always starts with your name) scrabbles in the dirt
Will appear like this (ex:)
Leaferran scrabbles in the dirt
/e scrabbles in the dirt, and finds %T's shoe (%T will show your current targeted target in the game)
Will appear like this: (ex:)
Leaferran scrabbles in the dirt, and finds Animal's shoe
These emotes will not be understandable by the opposing faction. The following will be the only thing the opposing faction will see.
Leaferran makes some strange gestures
You can emote and cast spells or summons such as this macro for a warlock:
/e prepares a dark ritual.
/y Come to me, Felhorse!
/cast summon felsteed
Will appear as:
Leaferran prepares a dark ritual.
[Leaferran] yells: Come to me, Felhorse!
Leaferran casts Summon Felsteed
Set emotes (Just type in /)
Here is a list of some emotes that will cause your character to vocalize and/or perform a movement.
|/blush (same as /bashful)||/boggle||/bow|
|/chuckle (same as /cackle)||/clap (same as /applaud)|
|/commend (same as /applaud)||/congrats||/cry|
|/curious (same as /boggle)||/curtsey (same as /bow)|
|/flirt||/gasp||/giggle (same as /cackle)|
|/gloat (same as /cackle)||/greet||/growl|
|/grovel (same as /beg)||/guffaw (same as /cackle)|
|/hail (same as /greet)||/incoming|
|/insult (same as /angry)||/kiss||/kneel|
|/laugh (same as /cackle)||/lie|
|/lost (same as /boggle)||/mourn (same as /cry)|
|/no||/oom||/plead (same as /beg)|
|/point||/ponder (same as /boggle)|
|/pray (same as /kneel)||/rasp|
|/roar (same as /growl)||/rude (same as /angry)|
|/salute||/shrug (same as /boggle)|
|/shy (same as /bashful)||/sigh||/silly|
|/sleep (same as /lie)||/surrender (same as /beg)|
|/talk||/taunt (same as /chicken)||/thank|
|/train||/violin (same as /cry)||/wait|
|/wave (same as /greet)||/welcome||/whistle|
The above lists are only the emotes that have a movement and/or a voice component associated with them. There are many more emotes that will provide just the text in chat menu, but are still otherwise helpful. There is a partial list below, with some of the above emotes included.
For the full list, including the variations in text, see emotes (list).
|List of available emotes:|
- Tauren are the only race that produce the proper sound effect when the "/moo" emote is used.
- Worgen also have an animation and sound for the "/sniff" command.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): A lot of new emotes have been added: /absent, /arm, /awe, /backpack, /badfeeling, /blame, /blank, /brandish, /breath, /challenge, /charm, /chug, /coverears, /crossarms, /ding, /disagree, /doubt, /encourage, /enemy, /eyebrow, /highfive, /facepalm, /faint, /go, /sweat, /going, /glower, /headache, /hiccup, /hiss, /holdhand, /hurry, /idea, /jealous, /luck, /look, /map, /mercy, /mutter, /nervous, /object, /offer, /pet, /pinch, /proud, /promise, /pulse, /punch, /pout, /regret, /revenge, /rolleyes, /ruffle, /sad, /scoff, /scold, /scowl, /search, /shakefist, /shifty, /shudder, /signal, /silence, /sing, /smack, /snap, /sneak, /sneeze, /snort, /squeal, /stopattack, /suspicious, /think, /truce, /twiddle, /warn.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Added /golfclap.