|Race||Blood elf (Undead)|
|Character class||Death knight|
|Affiliation||Forsaken, Quel'Thalas (Horde), Ebon Blade|
|Former affiliation(s)||Acherus Knights (Scourge)|
|Location||Agmar's Hammer, Dragonblight; Orgrim's Hammer, Icecrown
Koltira Deathweaver is a notable death knight of the New Horde, generally serving as the Horde counterpart to Thassarian. In life, Koltira was a valiant defender of Quel'Thalas, and took to the field during the brutal Scourge invasion. He was killed in battle by Thassarian, and was promptly reanimated as a powerful death knight under the Lich King's sway. Despite Thassarian being his killer, Koltira came to develop a strong bond with the human, the two placing inordinate amounts of value on the safety of the other (for ruthless death knights of the Scourge), and considering each other brothers in death.
Along with many other death knights, Koltira broke away from the Lich King's grasp when his free will was restored to him at the Battle for Light's Hope Chapel, and he joined the newly-formed Knights of the Ebon Blade under Highlord Darion Mograine. While Thassarian opted to join the Alliance to reunite with his sister and serve his king, Koltira—conversely lacking such purpose with his own monarch and family dead—chose to join the Horde, the faction his people (renamed the blood elves in honor of the fallen high elves) were now a part of.
|Plaguelands: The Scarlet Enclave||55||784,200|
Koltira's first encounter with the death knight Thassarian was during the defense of Quel'Thalas against the impending Scourge invasion, where he was defending An'owyn with his brother Faltora and the high elf Merriel. Merriel was quickly slain and Faltora charged Thassarian directly, only to be quickly beaten. Koltira noticed however, that Thassarian hesitated in killing him. While attempting to flee, Faltora was killed by an abomination, but Koltira managed to escape.
Several hours later, Koltira followed and ambushed Thassarian. Feeling the conflict inside Thassarian, he offered Thassarian the choice to turn away from the Scourge and join him. Thassarian refused but spared his life until the next time they meet. The next day, the Elfgates failed and the Scourge entered Silvermoon where Koltira and Thassarian continued their duel. Thassarian emerged victorious and took Koltira's life. Koltira was then raised as another death knight of the Scourge. Despite being his murderer, Thassarian and Koltira developed a bond during their service under Arthas and came to see each other as brothers.
Years later, Koltira and Thassarian were ordered by the Lich King to join Highlord Darion Mograine's forces in crushing the Argent Dawn at Light's Hope Chapel using the necropolis Acherus. Thassarian, Koltira and Orbaz Bloodbane were stationed at Acherus: The Ebon Hold. Their first mission was to go behind enemy lines and find out what they could about the Crimson Dawn. During the process Koltira got captured and Thassarian was willing to break the Scourge code concerning the weak to free him.
At the close of the Battle for Light's Hope Chapel, in a confrontation with the Lich King, Tirion Fordring cleansed the Ashbringer and freed the Knights of the Ebon Blade from the Scourge. Koltira and Thassarian parted ways, with Thassarian joining the Alliance and Koltira unable to decide if he should join the majority of his people, now the blood elves, in the Horde, or follow Thassarian into the Alliance. After Thassarian told him to go with his people, Koltira decided to join the Horde, enlisting at Agmar's Hammer to Overlord Agmar. He was allowed to stay but he realized that he is being hunted by shadows.
Despite their parting, Koltira and Thassarian are still like brothers, and Thassarian said that if Koltira ever asked him for help, he would help him.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Koltira made his formal debut at the Horde fortress of Agmar's Hammer, where he charged Horde members with powering his runeblade and striking against the local Scourge threats. Later, he was aiding the Horde while on Orgrim's Hammer, dispensing missions against the Lich King's power bases in the area.
Koltira and Thassarian joined with their brethren in the Ebon Blade during , arriving in time to battle Arthas himself and relieve the Argent Crusaders of their unfavourable predicament. After Tirion destroyed what remained of the Lich King's heart, Arthas was temporarily wounded, and Koltira was in favour of finishing him off on the spot. Darion was more in favour of patience, and the Knights of the Ebon Blade pulled back.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
The Alliance and the Forsaken are fighting over control of Andorhal and the remaining Scourge presence there. The Alliance, led by Thassarian, have taken control of the western portion of the town while the Horde, led by Koltira Deathweaver, have taken control of the eastern portion. Over the course of the Battle for Andorhal, Koltira sends Horde heroes to deal with the remaining Scourge forces and, after defeating them, Thassarian and Koltira enter a truce. Despite this apparent ceasefire however, some time afterwards, human farmers formed a militia and launched a sneak attack on Koltira's Forsaken forces. Koltira begins to fend the Alliance forces off, and instructs the player to locate Lindsay Ravensun, whose input Koltira had been somewhat dismissive of earlier.
Upon meeting Ravensun, it is revealed that she is, in fact, none other than the Dark Lady herself in disguise. She sends Horde agents and Val'kyr to assault the Alliance forces and turn the battle around. After the Alliance is defeated, Sylvanas confronts Koltira about the truce with Thassarian, and scolds him for being weak. A portal to the Undercity is opened and Koltira is pulled through by a hooked chain, where Sylvanas will attempt to purge him of his compassion for Thassarian and make him more of a servant of the Horde - more specifically, a servant of Sylvanas and the Forsaken.
World of Warcraft Quests
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
While in the service of the Lich King:
Quel'Thalas or the Forsaken?
Why Koltira would find himself fighting for his "queen," Lady Sylvanas Windrunner, is curious, as his stated reason for joining the Horde was to reconcile with his people, now calling themselves the blood elves, and to fight once more for Quel'Thalas. Though not directly addressed as of yet, one of the following may have been a factor:
- During the Scourge invasion in which Koltira was slain, the military leader of Quel'Thalas (and thus Koltira's leader during the battle) was indeed Ranger General Sylvanas Windrunner. It is possible that she called him to service once more.
- The Forsaken contain a number of undead high elves killed during the same battle as Koltira. It is possible that Koltira found the solace he was looking for not with his living kin, but with his undead.
- It is also possible that Koltira never officially joined the Forsaken at all, yet was only dispensed to aid his former ranger-general during the Battle for Andorhal. Although, this is somewhat less likely than the above, considering he is even faction-tagged as part of the Undercity.
- Koltira may have been lacking a purpose once more with the Lich King dead. It is known that death knights are afflicted with the innate need to cause pain, lest they suffer blinding pain and hysteria themselves. Joining the Forsaken military (as the blood elven forces were, for the most part, inactive during the Cataclysm era) may have been in order to sate it, given the Forsaken's abundance of very direct enemies in the region.
- Although Koltira died as a high elf, he is later identified as a blood elf, even as a member of the Scourge. It is possible that he and others began to consider him a blood elf following later conflicts between the Scourge and blood elves in the Eastern Kingdoms and Northrend.
- When asked about if he would show up in Mists of Pandaria Blizzard has admitted that they are debating whether or not to catch up with Koltira now or later. Furthermore they mentioned that Koltira was in bad straights.
- Exactly when Koltira formally joined the Horde military is unclear. He is first seen in Northrend when the war against the Lich King is in full swing, in the Horde fortress of Agmar's Hammer.
- Thassarian says that he and Koltira were "hated enemies in life", though Thassarian was already undead at the time they did battle and prior to that, the humans and high elves were allies prior to King Anasterian's abandonment of the Alliance. It is possible that Thassarian was referring to his first (and only) encounter with Koltira prior to the latter's undeath—the Scourge invasion—in which the two were indeed enemies.
- Koltira may have been a Farstrider in life, or at least a ranger. He is shown in the World of Warcraft: Death Knight manga to have been a proficient archer as well as a swordsman, and took part in one of the Farstriders' first attempts to protect the outer elfgates.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Added.
- ^ http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/02/27/patch-5-2-and-beyond-with-dave-kosak/
- ^ Cataclysm Lore Details - World of Raids Forums. Retrieved on 5 July 2010.
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsw78wHlhrE&feature=channel
- ^ Ask Creative Development, Round Two
- ^ http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2923-Developer-AMA-Live!