- Lava Burst
- Level 34 Elemental, Restoration shaman ability
- 30 yd range
- 7.7% of base mana
- 8 sec cooldown
- 2 sec cast
- You hurl molten lava at the target, dealing (X + 100% of spell power) Fire damage. Lava Burst will always deal a critical strike. If your Flame Shock is on the target, Lava Burst will deal 50% additional damage.
|| [Elemental Reach], [Lava Surge]
Lava Burst is an Elemental shaman's highest hitting spell, due to it having a 100% crit chance as well as dealing 50% more damage if the [Flame Shock] DoT is on the enemy. It is on a 8 sec cooldown, thus causing shaman DPS rotations to be governed by cooldowns and priorities.
It is learned at level 34.
- If Flame Shock is applied for the first time while Lava burst is traveling to the enemy (in other words, after Lava Burst has been cast), the 50% damage bonus will not apply.
- The Flame Shock DoT only has to be active upon completion of casting Lava Burst. If the DoT wears off while the Lava Burst projectile is traveling, it will still deal extra damage.
Tips and tactics
- Rotations should be timed around utilizing Lava Burst as much as possible.
- PvP - Lava burst and [Chain Lightning], which has no traveling time, if cast in succession will generally hit at the same time for spike damage.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2013-05-23): "Elemental Overload version of Lava Burst should now properly deal 75% of the damage dealt by the Lava Burst that activated it."
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now has a 2 second cast time, up from 1.5 seconds, and deals 25% more damage.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Base damage has been reduced by 33% but now always deals a critical strike. When cast on targets affected by Flame Shock, it now deals 50% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now an Elemental and Restoration specialization ability.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): This ability no longer ever consumes a Flame Shock debuff off of the target.