|Title||Advisor to Thrall, Overseer of Thrallmar|
|Character class|| Warrior
|Affiliation||Frostwolf Clan (Horde)|
|Occupation||Overseer of Thrallmar, Chief of Thrall's Security|
|Location||Thrallmar, Hellfire Peninsula|
- "The struggle to free the orcish people from our tainted blood has not been easy."
Nazgrel is an orcish commander, and was an advisor to the Horde’s former leader, Warchief Thrall. In The Burning Crusade Nazgrel commands the Horde forces of Thrallmar in Hellfire Peninsula, a fortress in the world of Outland.
The Third War
Nazgrel is the last living relative of Kash'drakor, a famed warrior in orcish history. Nazgrel was one of the orcs liberated from a internment camp by Warchief Thrall. Since then, he has become one of Thrall's most trusted advisors. He is distrustful of the Alliance.
The Founding of Durotar
After the Battle of Mount Hyjal, Thrall took his orcish brethren to an area of The Barrens, which he claimed as his own, naming it Durotar after his father. Founding the capital of this new nation,Orgrimmar, Nazgrel was placed in charge of its security.
Nazgrel despised the Alliance, and humans in particular. He viewed Thrall's continued insistence that the humans can be reasoned with to be a weakness, and felt that victory through war was the only way that the Alliance would end their persecution of the Horde. However, Nazgrel was also completely loyal to his Warchief, and thus did not act on his opinions.
During the construction of Orgrimmar, Bloodfeather, a harpy queen, assaulted the caravans of supplies coming to Orgrimmar, but Nazgrel was unable to leave the fledging city to deal with her. Fortunately, Rexxar, a recent arrival to Orgrimmar, offered to assist Nazgrel, and was sent to dispose of her. Nazgrel was pleased when he returned with the harpy's heart, and rewarded him with items from the armory.
Nazgrel was uneasy as news of the humans' actions at the coast reached Thrall, but obeyed Thrall's command for peace, letting Rexxar handle them. But when they lost contact with Gar'thok's outpost, Nazgrel accompanied Rexxar to investigate, and they found the outpost destroyed and human camps along the coast. Nazgrel, Rexxar and Rokhan proceeded to kill the humans to take revenge for their actions. Later, Nazgrel perceived that perhaps an attack was imminent, and so sent Rexxar and his allies to the Echo Islands to warn the trolls.
Cycle of Hatred
Nazgrel was briefly seen as he was walking alongside Rexxar throughout the city of Orgrimmar to Thrall.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Since Admiral Proudmoore's invasion of Durotar, Nazgrel has continued to serve Thrall unquestioningly. Before patch 2.01, he could be found inside Grommash Hold in the Valley of Wisdom, in the orcish capital of Orgrimmar.
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
In the Burning Crusade, Nazgrel has relocated from Orgrimmar to Outland, where he commands the outpost of Thrallmar in Hellfire Peninsula. This move is most likely to give him a more active part in World of Warcraft, as he works as the major figurehead in the frontier town, similar to Danath Trollbane for the Alliance.
He starts the following quests:
-  (Group)
- Quest:The Assassin
- [63G3] (Group)
- [70D] (Dungeon)
- Thrall says: No need to thank me brother. You would have done the same--
- Nazgrel grunts
- Nazgrel says: Fool! That Wendigo was my kill! How dare you interfere with a sacred hunt!
- Thrall says: You looked like you needed help.
- Nazgrel says: I needed nothing from you! I had the beast under control. A Wendigo was finally within my grasp... and you scared it away! "Grunts" Stay out of my way.
- Nazgrel runs.
- Thrall says: There's just no pleasing some people.
- Later back at Frostwolf Village.
- Nazgrel says: You! Get away from me! I lost my wolf in that fight only to have you deprive me of my kill! Now I must set this foolish trap and try to lure the beast back into the open!
- Thrall says: My mistake... I thought your life was important.
- Nazgrel says: My life? Are you saying I wouldn't have beaten the beast on my own?
- A village Hut door opens.
- Drek'thar says: Nazgrel, save your pride for the hunt. Stranger... come inside, we have important business to discuss.
- Later inside the Hut.
- Thrall says: I know that you still doubt me, brother... But I won't let you down again.
- Nazgrel grunts.
- So you've recently arrived from Azeroth, eh? You'd best steel yourself, <class> - there are perils in this land unlike anything the Horde has faced before. I am Nazgrel - right hand to our mighty warchief. Thrall. He honored me with the task of safeguarding this brave expedition and - by all spirits - I shall!
- Once our warchief heard the Dark Portal had been reopened, he Immediately gathered his advisers to plan this daring expedition. Though a few of his councilors have their doubts. Thrall holds out the hope that we might discover new insights into the history of our people. He believes that somewhere amidst the wreckage of this world, the true tale of the orcish people lies hidden.
- I must amidst that in my darkest moments...I fear that that tale should remain untold.
- The Horde has risked much to venture into Outland - Resources, manpower - even the tactical defense of our lands is at stake. Despite all else, Thrall believed in the promise of this ravaged land. There is a stranger light in his eyes these days - as if he senses some stirring revelation the rest of us do not.
- Still, he is my warchief and my blood-brother. I would follow him through the gates of the abyss itself.
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
In the cancelled Warcraft Adventures Nazgrel was a Frostwolf Clan orc who helped Thrall to liberate the orcish clans from the internment camps in the cancelled game. Nazgrel was shown as a traditional orcish Raider, a warrior that rides a giant wolf into battle. Thrall interrupted his sacred hunt of a ferocious wendigo that cost him the life of his mount, for which Nazgrel was furious. He was known to the Far Seer and Chieftain of the Frostwolves, Drek’thar, by name.
Although "Nazgrel" is one of the random names for Far Seers in Warcraft III, this is likely to be just a homage to the character from Warcraft Adventures, who had yet to feature in canonical lore. He is listed a shaman in the Trading Card Game, perhaps mistakenly due to this appearance, or perhaps due to his shaman-like garb (which seems instead to be a traditional Frostwolf garb in his case).
- Nazgrel is one of the randomly generated names for Far Seer heroes in Warcraft III multiplayer games, and is likely a reference to Nazgrel, the character that first featured in the cancelled Warcraft Adventures, and later in the novel Cycle of Hatred, as well as World of Warcraft and the Warcraft III:The Frozen Throne orc campaign as a raider/warrior. Nazgrel is a shaman in the TCG as well.
- Although Nazgrel was originally a major character in the cancelled Warcraft Adventures, he did not appear in the Lord of the Clans that novelised that period of orcish history.
- An artifact in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, , mentions Nazgrel. It says "This weapon was crafted on Draenor for Kash'drakor and used in the Blood River War that ended with the annihilation of the Dark Scar Clan. Nazgrel is the last surviving relative of Kash'drakor."
- Ultimate Visual Guide contradicts his history from the World of Warcraft manual that stated that when Thrall joined the Frostwolf clan, Nazgrel was initially unwilling to accept him, but after Thrall had proven himself in battle, Nazgrel learned to respect the younger orc.
Warcraft III statistics
|Hit points||1450 HP (+138% more than a regular Frozen Throne Raider)|
|Armor||5 medium armor (+400% more than a regular Frozen Throne Raider)|
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Moved to Outland.
- ^ World of Warcraft Trading Card Game: March of the Legion. Blizzard Entertainment. 196.
- ^ "The Founding of Durotar", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment. Dustwallow Marsh.
- ^ a b c "The Founding of Durotar: To Tame a Land", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment. Main map.
- ^ Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans unreleased BETA, seen on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLhbcFTpcI