- This article is about the 10 and 25-player versions of the raid introduced in Patch 3.2.2. For the original 40-man version of Onyxia's Lair, see Onyxia's Lair (original).
Onyxia's Lair is a level 80 raid dungeon located in the Wyrmbog, Dustwallow Marsh. It is home to Onyxia, the brood mother of the black dragonflight.
Onyxia's Lair was originally a level 60, 40-player raid dungeon, only one of two that were available upon release of World of Warcraft (the other being Molten Core). It was re-tuned as a level 80 raid dungeon in patch 3.2.2 in honor of World of Warcraft's 5-year anniversary. Like all other Wrath of the Lich King raid dungeons, it has both 10-man and 25-man modes.
Onyxia is the daughter of the mighty Black Aspect, Deathwing, and sister of the scheming Nefarian, Lord of Blackrock Spire. Whereas her father favors brute force, and her brother creates twisted abominations to carry out his will, Onyxia prefers subtle manipulation, and delights in meddling in the political affairs of mortals, using her charm and power to influence such delicate matters between the different races to her own ends. Some believe that Onyxia has even assumed an alias once used by her father - the title of the royal House Prestor. Most recently, she very nearly succeeded in destroying the political structure of Stormwind in the guise of Katrana Prestor, before being unmasked by Marshal Windsor and fleeing to her lair: a fiery cave below the Dragonmurk, a dismal swamp located within Dustwallow Marsh. There she is guarded by by her kin, the remaining members of the insidious black dragonflight.
King Varian Wrynn and a group of Alliance heroes were able to assault her lair and slay Onyxia. Onyxia was decapitated and her head was brought back to Stormwind City to be hung from the gates. After her death, Broll Bearmantle summoned roots from the ground to seal the lair's entrance and to kill her unhatched progeny.
Days later, Garona and Maraad reopened the lair.
The only boss in Onyxia's Lair.
- Main article: Onyxia's Lair loot
The level 80 version of Onyxia drops headpieces with similar names and models as the Tier 2 ones the original level 60 version had. (The actual Tier 2 headpieces now drop off Nefarian in Blackwing Lair). She also drops a new version of [Quel'Serrar] since the questline for the original version has been removed from the game. All of these items have been upgraded to reflect Onyxia's new status as a Tier 9-level boss. There is also an extremely fast mount named Brood of Onyxia that drops off her. Item levels range between 232 (10-player mode) and 245 (25-player mode).
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): Onyxia's Lair will be retuned as a 10 and 25-man raid dungeon for level 80 players in honor of the World of Warcraft 5-year anniversary. The same loot will be available (including Tier 2), but stats will be updated to match current content.
- A new 310% flying mount (Brood of Onyxia) will also be added to her loot table.
- Onyxia's Lair is the smallest raid in the entire game.