||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4.
- This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained or are now deprecated.
- The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes and should probably not be under any other categories.
- A good hunter isn't afraid to put down her bow.
Raptor Strike is a strong melee ability that a hunter can use to deal damage. The initial ability is acquired at level 6 for 1 80 and is a Hunter's only true melee ability, while there are a few others, this ability has no requirements.
|6 - 8
|9 - 10
|11 - 12
|13 - 14
Tips and tactics
- Use as often as possible when you cannot get out of melee.
- [Savage Strikes] is a two point talent in the Survival tree, which provides a +20% bonus to the hunter's chance to crit with both raptor strike and [Mongoose Bite]. For mongoose bite, this is a relatively trivial improvement; however, raptor strike is an "on next swing" spell. It is attached to a melee strike, so when a raptor strike crits, the entire attack crits. This gives hunters an incentive to carry slow, hard-hitting two-handed weapons, especially for PvP. Also remember that your first swing occurs 0.5 seconds after you have started to attack an ennemy, so it does not matter if your weapon is slow.
- Raptor Strike and Wing Clip can be used at the same time, since "Instant Cast" abilities and "Next Melee Attack" abilities have seperate global cooldowns. A Raptor Strike/Wing Clip macro can be useful for doing some damage and snaring the enemy so you can get to a more suitable range.
- Use this whenever your enemy is in melee range and cannot be hit by ranged attacks. Remember that Raptor Strike is meant to give you a short damage boost, but cannot be relied upon to inflict sustained damage. Once you have hit an enemy with this strike, get out of melee range as soon as possible.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Removed.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Major updates.
- Raptor Strike is no longer a free ability. It is available at level 6.
- No longer costs 120 mana.
- No longer on next melee attack. It is now instant.