Introduced to Azeroth by the Highborne, Reforging (also called thaumaturgy) allows undesired stats on gear to be exchanged for more useful stats. It allows 40% of a single secondary stat (such as critical strike, dodge, haste, hit or parry rating) or spirit to be exchanged for another secondary stat or spirit, and reforging is handled by NPCs known as Arcane Reforgers located in the major cities. The cost of reforging an item is equal to its sale value. Restoring an item to its original state is free. Stats can only be exchanged for other stats which are not already on the gear. Earlier in Cataclysm's development, reforging was planned to be an ability of Jewelcrafters, Engineers, Tailors, Blacksmiths and Leatherworkers, who would have been able to create items similar to enchantment scrolls which other characters could use to reforge their gear.
It has been stated that Reforging is not intended to be used routinely on all items, like Enchanting, but to allow more classes to conceivably roll on potential upgrades, rather than being forced to .
Locations of Reforgers
In The Drag in Orgrimmar and Shrine of Two Moons in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. They will reforge any item with Item Level 200 or higher.
- Critical Strike Rating
- Dodge Rating
- Expertise Rating
- Haste Rating
- Hit Rating
- Mastery Rating
- Parry Rating
Non Reforgable Stats
- Resilience rating
- Attack Power
- Spell Power
- Weapon speed or damage
- Armor value
- You also may not use reforging to add to a stat that is already on the item.
- Before Patch 4.0.1, caps on statistics like the hit rating cap and spell haste cap were very important to itemization decisions as people decided what to keep and how to enhance it. Reforging, however, makes that much easier; the best-in-slot item for any class and spec will now very often be the available item with the highest item level, and any undesirable stat can be reforged to a more preferred one.
- Patch 6.0.0 (NYI): The Reforging feature will be removed.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Previous vendors retired, new ones added near Void Storage and Transmogrification vendors. Interface has been revamped.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.