|Seal of Righteousness
- Seal of Righteousness
- Level 42 paladin ability
- 16.4% of base mana
- Instant cast
- Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 9% weapon damage to all targets within 8 yards.
- "There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you wield the Light." - Grand Marshal Goldensword
Seal of Righteousness is a paladin ability, learned at level 42. Using [Judgment] when Seal of Righteousness is active deals a high amount of Holy damage. A moderate amount of Holy damage is also applied on each weapon swing.
Seal of Righteousness deals additional Holy damage on every swing to a single target. Due to normalization, seal damage over time is a constant independent of weapon speed. What is means is, that a 4.00 speed weapon will deal twice as much damage per hit as a 2.00 speed weapon, but since it swings twice as often, the effective damage over time is the same.
SoR is best used with one-handed weapons, or for Retribution paladins, when fighting multiple enemies because of the cleave bonus. The threat generated by its Holy damage is enhanced by [Righteous Fury] and can thus be used to keep aggro.
Seal of Righteousness is appropriately used when the fight or phase is short or where targets are switched so often that applying DoT stacks again every time would be impractical. Seal of Righteousness is replaced by [Seal of Truth] when it comes to long boss fights.
It is good to remember that a Seal's power always depends on the situation. Skilled Paladins with good situation awareness will switch Seals to adapt to the situation, sometimes several times during a fight if necessary. Good examples of fights like this are Razorscale and Freya in Ulduar.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Now causes melee attacks to deal 9% damage (was 6%) to targets in the area-of-effect.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned. Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 6% weapon damage to all targets within 8 yards.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Can now be activated by any melee ability, not just single target melee abilities. This adds [Hammer of the Righteous] (the physical component) and [Divine Storm] to the list of abilities that can activate this seal. In addition, Seal of Righteousness procs can now be critical effects.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): This seal will no longer cause additional chances for weapon procs to trigger.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Has changed significantly.