|The Serpentshrine Cavern loading graphic|
|Location||Coilfang Reservoir, Zangarmarsh|
|Race(s)|| Blood elf
|End boss||Lady Vashj|
|Key||Mark of Vashj (no longer required)|
|The Slave Pens (5)|
|The Underbog (5)|
|The Steamvault (5)|
|Serpentshrine Cavern (25)|
Serpentshrine Cavern is the raid wing of Coilfang Reservoir, where has made her lair. It is a 25-man raid instance with six bosses, culminating with Lady Vashj herself.
Whoever controls the water controls Outland.
These are the words of Lord Illidan Stormrage to his most trusted lieutenant, Lady Vashj. Shortly after the Third War, when Illidan requested the aid of the naga, a group of naga led by Lady Vashj answered his call. Ever since, Vashj has displayed a fierce dedication to Illidan.
Now the naga witch carefully monitors Coilfang's operations from her seat of power within Serpentshrine Cavern. Far more at home here among the waters of the reservoir than locked within the cold stone walls of Black Temple, Vashj maintains a close eye on her minions and personally oversees the draining of Zangarmarsh.
Whether her loyalties belong to Illidan alone, however, remains to be seen.
- Main article: Serpentshrine Cavern walkthrough
There is no required boss order in this zone, as there are several paths from the zone-in to Lady Vashj. The main 'cavern' is composed of a collection of large bridges and platforms above water. By using waterwalking you can start pretty much anywhere.
- Main article: Serpentshrine Cavern loot
Tokens for Tier 5 gloves, legs, and helms drop in the Serpentshrine Cavern.
- In an interesting twist must be fished out of his pool rather than pulled.
- See also: Serpentshrine Cavern Walkthrough, The Burning Crusade: Guild Progression.
- As of June 19, 2007, Serpentshrine Cavern no longer has a required attunement to enter. The attunement quest chain remains in-game, but the first quest in that chain is not offered to characters over level 70. For a while after the attunement requirement was removed, completing the chain anyway, along with the Tempest Keep raid attunement chain, granted the title of . That title became no longer attainable with Patch 3.0.2.
Patches and Hotfixes
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): You may now fight and without first killing all the other bosses in their respective dungeons.
- Hotfix (2007-06-19): "After a lot of thought and deliberation, we’ve decided to remove the attunement requirements to enter Serpentshrine Cavern and Tempest Keep: The Eye. While many of our attunements in the Burning Crusade have been good progression checks, a few of the attunements have turned out to cause unnecessary stress on guilds either doing the content or attempting to do the content. With Black Temple and Battle for Mount Hyjal thriving, we want to encourage (rather than prevent) new guilds and raid groups to attempt Serpentshrine and TK. We are going to leave the current attunement quests in the game so that players can still engage in the challenge and the lore of those quests should they choose to. At a later point, we are considering adding a final reward step to those quests as well (that way those who have already completed them would not miss out on a *new* reward)."
- Hotfix (2007-04-12): "Creatures and creature packs associated with , , and will no longer incorrectly respawn once their respective boss is killed."
- Hotfix (2007-04-12): "Creatures in Coilfang Resevoir: Serpentshrine Caverns now respawn more slowly."
- New spawn rate is 2 hours
- New spawn rate is 2 hours
- Hotfix (2007-03-13): "Several issues in Serpentshrine Cavern have been corrected. The Lurker Below should always spawn."
- Patch 2.0.10 (2007-03-06): Boss creatures have received additional tuning and polish.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.