Sha of Pride
The Sha of Pride is the fourth boss of the Siege of Orgrimmar raid instance, making him the final boss of Vale of Eternal Blossoms segment which precedes the actual siege. It is the core of the corruption of the Vale itself, spawned when Garrosh's arrogance unleashed the powers of the Heart of Y'Shaarj - the progenitor of the sha through the Pools of Power. It made its lair within an old Titan archive where the Heart was discovered.
When Emperor Shaohao purged his negative emotions with the help of the Monkey King and the August Celestials, he imprisoned the Sha primes beneath the ground. But he held on to one vice - the Sha of Pride. Emperor Shaohao's pride cloaked Pandaria in mists as he thought they were better than the rest of the world and they could solve their own problems. But for ten thousand years, they stagnated, their doubts and fears buried in the land, rising up to fester whenever they allowed them. Thus Pride is the most insidious of sha and it is more dangerous than all the others combined.
The seventh sha, the Sha of Pride, was the final burden to which Emperor Shaohao clung, shrouding the land in mist and biding its time for millennia. When Garrosh awakened the Heart of Y'shaarj, the force of his arrogance caused this dark energy to coalesce in the chamber where the Heart was unearthed.
There is a strong conceptual link between the Norushen encounter and this one. Norushen insists on purifying the players of their pride before he will let them enter the Vault of Y’Shaarj, and as soon as players engage the Sha of Pride they will understand why.
- Pride — Players start the encounter with 0 points of Pride. Whenever hit by an ability from the Sha of Pride or one of its minions, players gain 5 Pride. As a player's Pride increases to 25, 50, 75 and 100, Swelling Pride will inflict additional effects on that player.
- Gift of the Titans — Norushen gifts players with immunity to Pride. In addition, if all players with Gift of the Titans are within 8 yards of each other, they gain Power of the Titans.
- Swelling Pride — When the Sha of Pride reaches 100 energy, it releases a wave of dark energy, inflicting 350,000 Shadow damage to all players, giving them 5 Pride. In addition, Swelling Pride will trigger a secondary effect on any player with 25 or more Pride.
- Bursting Pride — When Swelling Pride hits a player that has 25 to 49 Pride, a mass of Sha corruption is created at their location. After 3 seconds, the corruption explodes, inflicting 250,000 Shadow damage to all players within 5 yards. Any player damage by this explosion gains 5 Pride.
- Projection — When Swelling Pride hits a player that has 50 to 74 Pride, they create a projection 15 yards from their current location. Projections explode after 8 seconds, inflicting 150,000 Shadow damage to all players, unless the projection's creator is standing within it. Any player damage by a projection's explosion gains 5 Pride.
- Aura of Pride — When Swelling Pride hits a player that has 75 to 99 Pride, they are afflicted with Aura of Pride for 25 sec. This effect causes the player to inflict 150,000 Shadow damage to their allies within 5 yards every 0.50 sec. Any player damaged by Aura of Pride gains 5 Pride.
- Overcome — When players reach 100 Pride, they are overcome, increasing their damage and healing done by 50%. Players hit by Swelling Pride while Overcome are permanently mind controlled and have their health increased by 100%.
- Mark of Arrogance — The Sha of Pride marks 2 players, inflicting 45,000 Shadow damage every 1sec., for the remainder of the encounter. This effect stacks. When Mark of Arrogance is removed, the dispeller gains 5 Pride.
- Wounded Pride — The Sha of Pride wounds his current target for 15sec. Wounded players gain 5 Pride whenever they suffer melee damage from the Sha of Pride.
- Manifestation of Pride — The Sha of Pride periodically summons Manifestations of Pride to attack players.
- Self Reflection — The Sha of Pride causes up to 5 players to reflect on their actions, creating a Reflection of Pride at their location. With each tick of Self-Reflection, the Sha focuses on players with higher levels of Pride, only targeting those with 25, 50 and then 75 Pride.
- Reflection — Reflections explode out of the ground at a player's location after 2 sec., inflicting 250,000 Shadow damage to all players within 2 yards. Any player damaged by this explosion gains 5 Pride.
- Corrupted Prison — The Sha of Pride activates 2 titan prisons, trapping a player inside of each. As the prison activates, it releases a burst of Sha Energy that inflicts 250,000 Shadow damage to all players within 12 yards, knocking them back and giving them 5 Pride. Imprisoned players are stunned, suffer 80,000 Shadow damage and gain 5 Pride for every second. Players remain stunned until all titan locks surrounding the prison have been activated. Titan locks are activated by having a player stand within the lock's rune and remaining there until the prison is deactivated.
- Banishment — The Sha of Pride banishes a random player to the corrupted Sha Realm. Banished players leave behind a physical form of their pride and remain banished until it is destroyed. Players within the Sha realm move 50% faster and are compelled to continually run forward, unable to stop. Additionally, coming into contact with corruption within the Sha realm inflicts 350,000 Shadow damage every second. Any player damaged by the Sha realm gains 5 Pride.
- Unstable Corruption — The Sha's energy tears open Rifts of Corruption every 3 sec. Each rift launches a bolt of corruption at a random player's location every 5 sec. Player's struck by the bolts suffer 350000 Shadow damage and gain 5 Pride.Players can close the rifts, causing them to explode, inflicting 350,000 Shadow damage to all players within 8 yards. Closing a rift afflicts players with Weakened Resolve, preventing them from closing another rift for 1 min.
- Reaching Attack — The Sha of Pride strikes at a distant target, inflicting 50% of weapon damage as Shadow and increasing Shadow damage taken by 25% for 8 sec. The Sha uses this ability when no targets are in melee range.
- Unleashed — When the Sha of Pride reaches 30% health remaining it becomes Unleashed. With its unleashed power, the Sha focuses on Norushen, instantly killing him. The remaining power of the Unleashed Sha inflicts 245,000 Shadow damage every 10seconds for the remainder of the encounter. Players gain 5 Pride each time they are damage by Unleashed.
Every raid member has an additional resource in the fight, called Pride. This starts at 0, but certain boss abilities (some avoidable, others unavoidable) will cause the raid member to gain Pride. It is the responsibility of each raid member to keep their Pride as low as possible.
The reason for this is the boss's casts of Swelling Pride, which happens every 60 seconds. This causes raid-wide Shadow damage (which should be covered by a raid cooldown), causes the entire raid to gain 5 Pride each, and causes an additional negative effect on each player based on their Pride level:
|Pride level||Additional effect|
|Less than 25||No additional negative effect.|
|25-49||Bursting Pride -- a large void zone that explodes at the player's feet after 3 seconds. Raid members caught in the explosion will take damage and gain 5 Pride, so the raid will need to move from any void zones created by either themselves or other raid members in time.|
|50-74||Projection -- a projection of the player spawns 15 yards away, and the player spawning the Projection has 8 seconds to stand on it (it is indicated by a green arrow). Failure will result in high Shadow damage to the entire raid as well as giving the entire raid 5 Pride each.|
|74-99||Aura of Pride -- a debuff that causes the raid member to do AoE damage in a 5 yard radius to any other raid members, which also causes them to gain 5 Pride per tick. Any affected player needs to run out of the raid until their debuff falls off.|
|100||Overcome -- health increased by 100% and permanently mind controlled for the remainder of the fight.|
There is no way for raid members to lose Pride once they have gained it, with the exception of a hard reset of all raid members' Pride to 0 when the boss reaches 30%.
There is, however, an immunity to Pride gains, Gift of the Titans. This is a 20 second buff applied by Norushen to random raid members (although the selection is random, Norushen will always choose at least one of the healers, and seems to never choose any of the tanks). Also, when all raid members with Gift of the Titans stack within 8 yards of each other, they gain an additional buff (Power of the Titans) which gives them a significant haste and damage done increase.
The beneficial effects of Power of the Titans means that the raid should spend the majority of the fight stacked in melee range. In most raid groups, the raid will stack at the far side of the room (where Gorehowl is embedded in the ground), with the exception of the two tanks who will be on the side of the room nearest to the door (where Norushen will be). This does however make the raid vulnerable from boss abilities that result in Pride gains in an AoE range, so the raid must be quick to spread out as needed.
Apart from the Swelling Pride ability previously mentioned, the Sha has several other abilities that cause Pride gains.
Tanks have to deal with the Wounded Pride debuff (except on Raid Finder difficulty). The current tank will gain 5 Pride per melee attack when the debuff is active, so the off-tank must be extremely quick to taunt the boss whenever the debuff is applied to the current tank. Additionally, the tank on the boss must never leave melee range of the boss, otherwise Reaching Attack will begin to wipe the raid.
Healers will have to deal with the Mark of Arrogance DoT on random raid members. It can stack, has unlimited duration, and dispelling it causes the dispeller to gain 5 Pride. Healers should only dispel the DoT when they have Gift of the Titans, and spam heal any affected players when they don't. Healers will likely not be able to dispel everyone during the 20 second window from Gift of the Titans (only single-target dispels work, spells such as are ineffective), and should prioritise dispelling those with the highest stacks.
The Sha also sends adds into the raid. Whenever Self-Reflection is cast, numerous small Reflection adds will spawn under random raid members, and will cause any raid members within 2 yards of their spawn point to gain 5 Pride when they finish spawning. The raid will need to spread out as soon as the cast starts and make sure that they are well clear of the stack point by the time the cast ends. Once the cast ends, the tank not on the boss can gather the Reflections up for AoE.
Every now and then, the boss will also send a Manifestation of Pride at the raid. This should be kept locked down via stuns and interrupts, as any cast of Mocking Blast that these adds get off will result in the targeted raid member taking high Shadow damage and gaining 5 Pride. When it dies, the two players closest to it will also gain 5 Pride; these should be players furthest from the next Swelling Pride breakpoint, or players with Gift of the Titans (the latter being required for the achievement). Although it performs melee attacks, a raid team with good stunning co-ordination should not need to send a tank over to deal with it.
Finally, several raid members will regularly be imprisoned in the Titan Prisons around the room. These players must be released as soon as possible, which is done by having other raid members standing on the two yellow plates on each prison. Players with movement speed increases are best suited to breaking players out of prisons. (Tanks should also help if one of the prisons near to them are selected, but the tank on the boss must never stand on a plate outside the boss's melee range due to Reaching Attack.) Players must take care to never stand on or near a prison until raid members have been imprisoned, otherwise they will take Shadow damage and gain 5 Pride.
When the Sha of Pride hits 30%, he casts Unleashed. This will kill Norushen, so Gift of the Titans will no longer be present for the rest of the fight; however, Norushen will reset all players' Pride back to 0 as he dies. Additionally, every 10 seconds, the raid will take medium Shadow damage and gain 5 Pride. All major DPS cooldowns (including / / ) should be kept for this, as the final 30% is a DPS race where the raid must defeat the Sha before the entire raid reaches 100 Pride and becomes Overcome. The boss's usual abilities will still be in effect as well.
Achievement: Swallow Your Pride
Earning requires the raid to handle the Manifestation of Pride adds perfectly. These adds must never be allowed to get a single Mocking Blast cast off, and when they die, the two closest players to the add must be players with Gift of the Titans.
If no raid member has gained Pride from a Manifestation of Pride by the time the Sha completes the Unleashed cast at 30%, the achievement criteria will be met, and the achievement will then be awarded if the raid then defeats the Sha of Pride in the usual manner.
|( · · )||Chest||T16 token|
|( · · )||Chest||T16 token|
|( · · )||Chest||T16 token|
|Assurance of Consequence ( · · · · )||Trinket||Agility DPS|
|Choker of the Final Word ( · · · · )||Neck||Strength tank|
|Crown of Boastful Winds ( · · · · )||Plate head||Spirit|
|( · · · · )||Staff||Intellect DPS|
|( · · · · )||Sword (2H)||Strength DPS|
|Greaves of Sublime Superiority ( · · · · )||Plate feet||Strength DPS|
|Necklace of Fading Light ( · · · · )||Neck||Spirit|
|Prismatic Prison of Pride ( · · · · )||Trinket||Healer|
|Self-Reflecting Mask ( · · · · )||Leather head||Spirit|
|Shield of Mockery ( · · · · )||Shield||Strength tank|
- Upon entering room
- Norushen yells: The corruption is amplifying. The fragments must be purged before it becomes too great.
- Taran Zhu says: *Cough cough* Nyyyhunnnggggg...
- Lorewalker Cho yells: Taran Zhu!
- Taran Zhu says: Cho... the outsiders... THEY did this... we should never have let them in...
- Lorewalker Cho says: Don't speak, friend, I will take you to the healers.
- Lorewalker Cho yells: I will find help! Try to hold off the sha for as long as you can!
- Norushen yells: It did not matter. It comes. Steel your hearts and prepare your souls.
- Sha of Pride yells: Come, face me. Give in to your pride. Show me your "Greatness".
- So foolish...
- Self Reflection
- You are better than your companions!
- Your arrogance compels you...
- Corrupted Prison
- Your arrogance feeds me!
- Swelling Pride
- Gift of the Titans
- Norushen yells: Be humble.
- Norushen yells: Free yourself of arrogance.
- Sha of Pride yells: You've let your pride cloud your vision, Titan puppet! You can never contain ME!
- The Sha kills Norushen.
- Norushen yells: You... must... contain... it...
- Norushen casts Final Gift and dies.
- Killed a Player
- That one is WEAK.
- That one is unworthy of your group.
- Blame your companions!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore and Lor'themar Theron walk in ahead of Cho.
- Lorewalker Cho yells: Heroes! You're alive. I brought help.
- Cho stops and Jaina and Lor'themar continue crossing the room.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: So Hellscream's arrogance unleashed the last of the sha. I am not surprised.
- Lor'themar Theron yells: Look here! He left his weapon behind.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: Gorehowl.
- Lor'themar Theron says: This means he's completely unhinged.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: News to no one, Regent Lord. King Wrynn's fleet is converging on Orgrimmar as we speak.
- Lor'themar Theron says: Likewise. Sylvanas and I have both sent ships to support Vol'jin's revolution.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: I'm warning you, Lor'themar. The Alliance is besieging the city and we will destroy Hellscream. Your people had best stay out of our way.
- Lor'themar Theron says: It is always a privilege to see you, Lady Proudmoore.
- Jaina and Lor'themar walk forward to opposite corners of the room as Cho heads back out through the doorway.
- (Alliance) Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: Come heroes, through the portal! The Siege of Orgrimmar begins!
- (Horde) Lor'themar Theron says: Champions, come with me. It's time to settle grievances with our... "Warchief."
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2013-10-03): "
- Resolved an issue that could cause Corrupted Prisons to stop functioning.
- Resolved an issue that could cause Unstable Corruption rifts to stop forming on 25-player Heroic difficulty."
- Hotfix (2013-09-20): "
- Altered the visual effects of Bursting Pride, Swelling Pride, Aura of Pride, and Unstable Corruption to improve their clarity and visibility.
- Portals to Orgrimmar should now spawn properly after defeating the Sha of Pride and soft resetting the instance."
- Hotfix (2013-09-19): "
- Hotfix (2013-09-17): "Swelling Pride's secondary effects can no longer be incorrectly redirected by Zen Meditation."
- Hotfix (2013-09-13): "Fixed an issue where players were able to obtain a second Titan Runestone from the Sha of Pride after having already received one on a different difficulty setting."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Added.
- Until Patch 5.3.0 there were only six known 'main' sha, though there were seven heads of Y'Shaarj. This led to the speculation that there is another sha somewhere. Dave Kosak said in an interview that "The seven heads of Y'Shaarj breathed out the ... Seven Burdens, although that was from an early draft of the story, we really only see six sha in the game ... which have to do with the Burdens of Shaohao." In Patch 5.3.0 the final sha was revealed to be the Sha of Pride.
- Sha of Pride is voiced by Brian T. Delaney.