Tips and tactics
Taming a beast can be made easier with some preparation. Some of the beasts you encounter have special attacks which will cause your attempt to tame them to fail.
- Put down a between you and your target. This will add up to 20 seconds of uninterrupted time for taming.
- Have a mage friend sheep the beast and you can then tame it.
- Have a druid friend it.
- Have a priest friend around you while you tame it (No threat).
- You cannot have another pet active if you want to tame a new one. Stable or dismiss any pet you have active before attempting to tame a new one.
- Interruptions will fail the attempt. This includes stuns, knock downs, and silence, but does not include the daze effect.
- You can only tame beasts that are at your level and below.
- Some beasts cannot be tamed. Only certain families of beasts are tamable, and even within those families not every member is tamable. To ensure the beast you want is tamable, you may want to cast on it for more information.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Now tames pets to match the hunter's level, rather than 3 levels below.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): No longer reduces armor while taming. Time taken to tame pet reduced by 10 sec.