Throne of Thunder
|Throne of Thunder|
|Location||Northeastern Isle of Thunder|
|End boss||Emperor Lei Shen, Ra-den (Heroic)|
|Associated faction||Shado-Pan Assault|
Throne of Thunder is the Patch 5.2 raid instance. Emperor Lei Shen, the Thunder King, has returned to wreak his vengeance on Pandaria. It falls to the heroes of the Alliance and the Horde to stop the newly resurrected tyrant and his Zandalari allies in the Throne of Thunder. The Throne of Thunder is a sprawling citadel housing 12 raid encounters, and players that defeat Emperor Lei Shen in Heroic mode can earn the opportunity to face an additional 13th foe, Ra-den.
The Raid Finder version of the Throne of Thunder will be divided into 4 different wings, and each wing will open a week (or two) after the previous. The instance opened on 5 March 2013, Heroic mode and "Last Stand of the Zandalari" LFR opened on 12 March, "Forgotten Depths" LFR opened on 19 March, "Halls of Flesh-Shaping" LFR opened on 2 April, and "Pinnacle of Storms" LFR opened on 16 April.
Join the Shado-Pan Assault in their singular drive to see Lei Shen, The Thunder King defeated once and for all, and gain access to impressive Valor reward items. Reputation with this faction can be earned only within the Throne of Thunder raid dungeon.
Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
When Pandaria separated from Kalimdor many thousands of years ago, a veil of mist kept outsiders from discovering the newly-formed continent. The mists also hid a reminder of an ancient evil: Lei Shen's Throne of Thunder. During his rule, this fortress was the seat of the Thunder King's power. Even after his death, great swathes of corrupted energy lingered, and now, the resurrected Thunder King and the Zandalari trolls intend to harness that energy to establish the reign of Lei Shen once again.
First get to the Isle of Thunder by taking a portal from the faction camps outside Shado-Pan Garrison in Townlong Steppes. The Alliance camp is at to the north, and the Horde camp is at to the southeast. Once on the isle, head to the Diremoor and follow the main path northeast through the jungle. At the Emperor's Gate, turn left and head due north to find at a sewer entrance called the Bleak Hollow, which is a small Shado-Pan camp. The sewer grate will teleport adventurers to the inner courtyard and at the instance line.
|Roost of Ji-Kun|
|3||Halls of Flesh-Shaping|
|Hall of Kings|
|Pinnacle of Storms|
In addition to the items in the tables below, all bosses have a chance to drop , (both after patch 5.4.0, for , the last six bosses (Durumu to Lei Shen) have a chance to drop a for , and drops from Lei Shen for .
- The Throne of Thunder ended up linear because of the story being told. However according to Ion Hazzikostas many players missed the less linear progression that was seen in Ulduar and Icecrown. Giving players the option to work on another boss is helpful and there were areas in Throne of Thunder that could have been designed with this in mind.
- Ra-Den didn't work out completely as envisioned. The sense of mystery associated with a boss that no one knows anything about is nice, making the content a bonus prize for defeating Lei Shen. It was hard to balance and test without the regular player testing, which resulted in clever use of game mechanics to defeat Ra-Den. Normally hotfixes would have been used to solve the problem, but limited attempts made it a more complicated situation.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2013-09-17): "
- Waterspouts in Tortos' Lair should allow players to travel back to the Council of Elders area once more.
- Fixed an issue where Ice Comets had less health than intended."
- Hotfix (2013-03-27): "
- Fixed an issue where bracers with a random secondary stat may be awarded to the wrong role through Raid Finder or bonus roll.
- Fixed an issue where zone drops were incorrectly disenchanting into Haunting Spirit."
- Hotfix (2013-03-21): "Gastropod should now favor attackers that are at range."
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Added.