Useful macros for mages
|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.
|Useful macros by class|
- 1 Macro Formatting Guidelines
- 2 General Macros
- 2.1 Conjuring
- 2.2 Polymorph
- 2.3 Polymorph Focus Macro
- 2.4 Buffing
- 3 Arcane Macros
- 4 Fire Macros
- 5 Frost Macros
- 6 PVP Mage Macros
Macro Formatting Guidelines
Note: With the release of 4.0.1, many spells have been renamed, and much of the scripted command functionality has been modified. In an effort to keep Wowpedia posts relevant, please re-validate and re-post macros that work in the current version.
Re-Creating Old Macros
When re-creating a macro in Useful macros please
- follow the example format posted below (to get the frame around your macro, add a space before you start it)
- describe what it does
- note the version of WoW in which you tested it
- remove it from the Old Macros page
/y Hooray, I made a macro!
- Use: This yells, "Hooray, I made a macro!"
- Works in 5.x
Conjure Mana Gems
/cast [btn:2] Conjure Mana Gem; Mana Gem
- Validated: 4.2
- Use: Left-clicking this macro will use a Mana Gem. Right-clicking it will cast .
/cast [mod:shift] Conjure Mana Gem; Mana Gem
- Validated: 4.2
- Use: This macro uses shift instead of the mouse buttons. Using this macro will use a Mana Gem. Holding shift while using this macro will cast . Make sure shift+hotkey isn't already bound to something in your keybind options.
Eating and drinking
There are some general macros for food an water management on the Useful macros.
All In 1 Food Macro
#showtooltip /cast [btn:2][mod:shift] Conjure Refreshment /cast [btn:3][mod:ctrl] Ritual of Refreshment /stopmacro [mod] /use [btn:1] Conjured Mana Cake
- Validated: 4.1
- Use: This macro is used for one button using/conjuring refreshments.
- Default: Lets you eat conjured refreshments
- Modifiers; Shift casts Conjure Refreshment; Ctrl it casts Ritual of Refreshment.
- Buttons: btn1 is default, btn2 is simillar to the shift modifier, btn3 is similar to the ctrl modifier.
All in 1 Food Macro (Food + Water)
#showtooltip /cast [btn:2,nomod][mod:shift] Conjure Water; [btn:2,mod][mod:alt] Conjure Food; [btn:3][mod:ctrl] Ritual of Refreshment /stopmacro [mod] /use [btn:1] Conjured Glacier Water /use [btn:1] Conjured Croissant /use [btn:1] Conjured Mana Pie
- Validated: 3.3.5
- Use: This macro is used for one button using/conjuring food & water.
- Default: Lets you eat conjured food/water/refreshments
- Modifiers; Shift casts Conjure Water; Ctrl it casts Conjure Food; Ctrl it casts Ritual of Refreshment.
- Buttons: btn1 is default; btn2+nomod is simillar to the shift modifier; btn2+mod is simillar to the alt modifier; btn3 is similar to the ctrl modifier.
Simple Announce Polymorph
#showtooltip /cast Polymorph /stopmacro [noharm][dead] /e polymorphs %t.
- Validated: 4.2
Use: Casts and announces it with an emote.
#showtooltip Polymorph /castrandom [harm] Polymorph, Polymorph(Rabbit), Polymorph(Turtle) /stopmacro [noharm][dead] /e polymorphs %t.
- Validated: 4.2
- Use: Casts a random spell and announces it with an emote.
Polymorph Focus Macro
A modified version of the old Polymorph Mouseover/Focus macro.
This polymorph macro will do the following:
- Set your focus on your mouseover target if you don't have a focus already OR if your current focus is friendly
- Set your focus on what you have targeted if you don't have a mouseover target and if you don't have a focus already OR if your current focus is friendly
- Polymorph the Focus target.
/clearfocus [@focus,noharm][@focus,dead] /focus [@mouseover,harm,nodead][@focus,noharm][@focus,dead] /cast [@focus,harm] Polymorph
You can also use this macro without the mouseover feature; just delete the [@mouseover,harm] bracket from the macro and you're set.
This macro will also work for other crowd control spells like Fear, Hex, etc.
- Tested in 5.3.0
#showtooltip /castsequence [@player] reset=4 Arcane Brilliance, Molten Armor
- Validated: 4.2
- Use: Refreshes your Buffs
#showtooltip /castsequence [@player] reset=12 Mana shield, Ice barrier
- Validated: 4.1
- Changed to allow for on a 12 second cooldown
- Easily modified to only use after , but with Mage mana regen it is impractical.
Cast and Remove Ice Block
#showtooltip Ice block /stopcasting /cast Ice block /cancelaura Ice block
Start buffs, conjure rations, and eat/drink in one click
#showtooltip Croissant /castsequence [btn:1] reset=10 Arcane Brilliance,Molten Armor,Conjure Water, Conjure Food /use [btn:2]Conjured Glacier Water /use [btn:2]Conjured Croissant
This macro is good for start-up as it allows initial buffs, and the conjuring of food and water; or it will consume both food and water with a single click. If you left-click on it, or click on it with a keyboard hotkey, it goes through a sequence which will give the intellect buff, and molten armor - feel free to change that to which ever armor you prefer - followed by conjure water and food. By putting the buffs first, when they run out and you are not out of food, you can simply left click on it twice to renew your buffs. I used to have gem conjuration in the sequence as well, but since they no longer vanish and throw an error if you try to conjure one when you still have one, I thought they did not belong here anymore.
If you right click on it, you will sit, eat, and drink, in one click. By setting #showtooltip to the food - change it to which ever food you conjure - you will see a big red ? when you first log on, to remind you that you need to run it, and, once you have run it, you will see the number of foods you have in stock. At the lower levels you tend to summon 2 more waters than foods, but if you always eat and drink together, it is unlikely that you will run out of water before you run out of food, and excess waters can easily be thrown away; or they will vanish on their own when you log out.
Start buffs, conjure rations, and eat/drink in one click (Grinder Version)
#showtooltip Conjured Glacier Water /target player /castsequence [btn:1,mod:shift] Conjure Water,Conjure Food; [btn:1] reset=10 Dampen Magic,Arcane Brilliance,Molten Armor /use [btn:2]Conjured Glacier Water /use [btn:2]Conjured Croissant
Same as above but with more finite control. Left-click to cast your buffs in sequence (dampen/amply magic, intellect, armor). Shift-click to conjure your water and food. Right-click to eat/drink.
If you're like me you'll run out of water/food long before your buffs run out. Dampen/Amply Magic are placed first in the buff list to account for the 10 minute duration; left-click once to refresh just this or multiple times to refresh them all.
This will cast Arcane Blast 4 times to build up debuffs, then cast Arcane Barrage. When Missle Barage Procs hold shift to cast Arcane Missles after the fourth Arcane Blast
#show Arcane Blast /cast [mod:shift, nochanneling] Arcane Missiles; /castsequence [nochanneling] reset=10/nocombat Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Barrage
High Damage Blizzard
#show Blizzard /cast Icy Veins /cast Blizzard
#show Flamestrike /cast Presence of Mind /cast Flamestrike
This is particularly good if you keybind your mousewheel to it.
#show Remove Curse /cast [target=mouseover,noflying,nomounted,nodead,help] Remove Curse; [target=mouseover,noflying,nomounted,nodead,harm] Counterspell; [flying,combat] Slow Fall
Living Bomb, Fireball
/castsequence reset=12/target/combat Living Bomb, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball
Cast Living Bomb on Mouseover Target
#showtooltip Living Bomb /cast [@mouseover,harm,no dead][target,harm] Living Bomb
- Use: If there's a mouseover target that isn't friendly or dead, this macro will pop a Living Bomb on it. If not, it works like normal Living Bomb. Useful for spamming Living Bomb onto adds and around groups!
- Works in 4.2
Frostbolt and Pet Attack
You can replace frostbolt with any other spell you use alot and it makes the water elemental attack faster.
#showtooltip Frostbolt /cast Frostbolt /petattack
May not the be choice for higher levels, but for AoE leveling grinding as frost its good.
#showtooltip /castsequence reset=10 Frost Nova, Ice Barrier, Icy Veins, Blizzard, Blink, Cone of Cold
PVP Mage Macros