Vanessa VanCleef (tactics)
|Wealth||1 99 83|
|Location||Ironclad Cove, Deadmines|
Vanessa VanCleef is a the sixth (bonus) boss in the Deadmines, available only on Heroic difficulty.
She's voiced by Karen Strassman.
As a young girl, Vanessa witnessed the gruesome death of her father and former Defias Brotherhood leader, Edwin VanCleef. She has since taken up his mantle of leadership, plotting to exact vengeance on Stormwind from the dark corridors of the Defias's stronghold in the Deadmines.
- Deflection — Vanessa deflects all melee attacks, ranged attacks and spells for 10 sec. She will only use this ability while her remaining health is greater than 25%.
- Deadly Blades — Vanessa begins to rapidly leap from enemy to enemy, appearing behind and inflicting the Backslash effect on a random enemy target every 1 sec. for 5 sec.
- Backslash — Vanessa slices into the back of an enemy target, inflicting 9250 to 10750 Physical damage every 2 seconds for 10 sec.
- Fiery Blaze — After Vanessa has been wounded below 50% of her total health, she will leap to the top of the ship and detonate preplaced explosives around the ship. These explosives will create Fiery Blazes across the deck. Players within 5 yards of a fire will be dealt 46250 to 53750 Fire damage every second. Players may avoid the worst of the fires on the deck by using a nearby rope on the side of the deck.
- Vengeance of VanCleef — After Vanessa detonates the first set of explosives at 50% health, she will repeatedly cast Vengeance of VanCleef until re-engaged in combat. Each application of this effect increases her Physical damage by 4%, melee attack speed by 4%, and size by 3%. The effect may stack up to 40 times.Once Vanessa has detonated the second set of explosives at 25% health, she will use this ability repeatedly until killed.
- Powder Explosion — When Vanessa has only 1% of her total health remaining, she will pull out a final keg of black powder and light it. The explosion kills her, and also deals 185000 to 215000 Fire damage to any enemy target within 10 yards.
- Defias Enforcer — While Vanessa VanCleef's remaining health is above 50%, she will periodically call on a Defias Enforcer to aid her from the nearby cabin.
- Charge — The Enforcer charges out into battle to join the fray.
- Bloodbath — The Enforcer begins to rapidly attack its current enemy target with a series of six quick attacks over 3 sec., each dealing 25% of normal melee damage.
- Recklessness — The Enforcer becomes immune to fear effects and his or her chance to deal a critical is increased by 100% for 15 sec., but the Enforcer's armor is also reduced by 35%.The Enforcer can use this ability if his or her remaining health is below 20%.
- Defias Shadowguard — Shortly after calling a Defias Enforcer, Vanessa will then call on a Defias Shadowguard to join the fight if her remaining health is still above 50%.
- Sinister Strike — The Shadowguard inflicts 100% of normal melee damage to the current enemy target.
- Shadowstep — The Shadowguard will periodically step through shadows and reappear behind the enemy target.
- Whirling Blades — The Shadowguard surrounds the enemy target with a set of whirling blades for 10 sec. The blades deal 16 to 19 Physical damage to all nearby units within 5 yards every second.
- Evasion — The Shadowguard increases his chance to dodge by 35% for 10 sec. The Shadowguard may use Evasion if his remaining health is below 30%.
- Defias Blood Wizard — Shortly after calling a Defias Shadowguard, Vanessa will then call on a Defias Blood Wizard to join the fight if her remaining health is still above 50%.
- Bloodbolt — Inflicts 46 to 53 Physical damage and reduces the current enemy target's movement speed by 20% for 4 sec.
- Ragezone — The Blood Wizard creates an unstable field of magic at the location of a random enemy target that lasts 30 sec. The field has a radius of 0 yards, and all units located within have their damage dealt increased by 25%.
Phase One - Glubtok
- The fight begins with your group being lowered into the forge. You must click the vent levers on all sides of the forge (they sparkle), so that you may escape to the ground. Fire will be all over the floor, and large circles will appear on the ground where frost rocks will fall, dealing damage. Avoid the fire at all costs, it deals massive damage, and dazes. The falling rocks deal significant damage as well, but they are more survivable.
Your group must make its way over to Glubtok, who is at the far end of the room. At the bottom of the ramp, the fire is impassable simply by continuing down the ramp - it may be avoided by jumping over the side. The rest of the room has small paths for you to navigate your way around the fire. Once you reach Glubtok, it is a simple tank and spank to defeat him.
Phase Two - Helix Gearbreaker
- Helix will spawn where Glubtok has died, with Nightmare Skitterlings and Chattering Horrors spawning all around the rest of the room. If your group stays close to Helix's spawn point, it is possible to aggro very few spiders. Should you have a group member aggro more spiders, the tank should pick them up. They deal significant damage, and should be avoided. Helix is another simple spank and tank.
Phase Three - Foe Reaper 5000
- You will continue through the door behind Helix into the tunnel. There are several rotating chains of sparks that you must navigate your way through (reminiscent of the slimes in Naxxramas). Do not touch the sparks - they are a one hit KO. There are a few places around the room, between the spark chains, where it is possible to stop and resurrect someone should one of your members fail. Once you reach Foe Reaper, it is as simple as the previous encounters to defeat him.
Phase Four - Admiral Ripsnarl
- In this phase, you will need to save the members of Admiral Ripsnarl's family, by saving them all from the worgen attacking them. None of them are allowed to die, or the encounter will be failed. The first to be saved is Emme Harrington, at the end of the dock immediatley ahead. Simply have the tank pick up the three Enraged Worgen attacking her. She will grant you a speed increase buff, which will continue to increase as you save more of the members of the family. Now you must continue straight down the dock to save Erik Harrington, who also has three worgen attacking him. After saving him, continue up to the ship. Take a right at the top of the ramp, and continue to the top of the path. Here, Calissa Harrington is being held over the ledge by James Harrington. You must kill James before he drops his wife. There is no tanking required here, so your tank can assist in DPSing him down. Continue up to the top of the ship after his defeat, where the nightmare ends, and the Vanessa encounter begins.
Rest and pull Vanessa to continue the fight. During the fight, melee and caster adds will spawn inside the hut and aid Vanessa. Whenever she casts Deflection, stop DPSing Vanessa and focus on the adds since she will parry all attacks on her. When she reaches 50% health, she will flee and detonate explosives on the ship. Players must escape using the ropes that appear on the far side of boat (opposite where you entered). The ropes swing you back on deck and the fight against Vanessa resumes. This repeats at 25%. After you return with the ropes whilst she is 25% HP, you should use all your CDs since she gets the Vengeance of VanCleef buff and starts dealing a lot of damage.
At 1% health she commits suicide by setting off an explosion on the ship. If you want to survive this, just go to the edge of the boat.
- Phase 1 Intro
You hear a noise from above the cabin door!
I've been waiting a long time for this, you know.
Biding my time, building my forces, studying the minds of my enemies.
I was never very good at hand-to-hand combat, you know. Not like my father.
But I always excelled at poisons.
Especially venoms that affect the mind.
Vanessa injects you with the Nightmare Elixir!
- Phase 1 nightmares--Trapped
Activate the steam valves to free yourself!
- Glubtok's Nightmare
The Nightmare Elixir takes hold!
Poor Glubtok. When his powers manifested, his own ogre mound was the first to burn.
Deep within his soul, the one thing he feared most of all was...himself.
You have entered Glubtok's Nightmare!
- Helix's Nightmare
The nightmare shifts!
Most rogues prefer to cloak themselves in the shadows, but not Helix.
You never know what skitters in the darkness.
You have entered Helix's Nightmare!
- Mechanical Nightmare
The nightmare shifts!
Can you imagine the life of a machine?
A simple spark can mean the difference between life...and death.
You have entered the mechanical nightmare!
- Ripsnarl's Nightmare
The nightmare shifts!
Ripsnarl wasn't always a bloodthirsty savage. Once, he even had a family.
He was called James Harrington. A tragedy in three parts.
You have entered Ripsnarl's nightmare!
Save Emme Harrington!
Save Erik Harrington!
Save Calissa Harrington!
Calissa Harrington says: James...please...I love you...
James Harrington says: Calissa...I am so sorry...
The Nightmare Elixir wears off!
- Phase 2 (Aggro)
I will not share my father's fate! Your tale ends here!
Did you really think I would come to this fight alone!?
- Detonating explosives (50%, 25%)
Fools! This entire ship is rigged with explosives! Enjoy your fiery deaths!
You didn't honestly think I would only plant ONE set of explosives, did you?
Vanessa has detonated charges on the ship! Get to the ropes at the side of the boat!
- Killing a Player
The first of many!
ENOUGH! I will not give you the pleasure.
If I'm going to die, I'm taking you all with me!
MY FATE IS MY OWN!
- Hotfix (2011-12-20): "Vanessa VanCleef's achievement should no longer break Stealth. "
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Vanessa VanCleef (Heroic difficulty) now has a sweet, sweet voice to accompany her dialog.
- Hotfix (2011-01-03): " prevents all damage from the Sparks in the Mechanical Nightmare. "
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08):
- The final rope swing while fighting Vanessa VanCleef has been removed. Players no longer need to swing off of the boat at the end of phase 3.
- Vengeance of VanCleef has been redesigned. It is now a stacking buff that increases damage dealt, size, and attack speed, and stacks up to 40 times. Vanessa will begin casting this as soon as she jumps back onto the boat after detonating charges.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.