The cooldown before another orb will trigger is roughly three seconds. The mana regeneration provided functions like MP5, thus is not affected by the five second rule. This regeneration stacks with all other mana-regeneration effects, both from gear and abilities.
Tips and tactics
Since cost no mana and provides a passive bonus, Water Shield should be up whenever you aren't using Lightning Shield or Earth Shield on yourself. It is a good practice for Elemental and Restoration shamans to make sure Water Shield is always active.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer has charges and lasts for 1 hour, up from 10 minutes.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Ranks 1-6 added, making the spell trainable at level 20. The spell was previously not available until level 62.
- Patch 2.3.2 (2008-01-08): Duration back to 10 minutes. No longer grants mana when expiring. Now provides passive mana regeneration instead.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Mana cost removed. Mana gained per orb doubled. Duration reduced from 10 minutes to 1 minute. At the end of the duration, mana is gained for each remaining globe.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): When a Shaman with this spell active is afflicted with , the charge burned will now grant mana.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Added as a new ability for The Burning Crusade.