|Race||Old god (Aberration)|
|Affiliation||Old Gods' forces, Kingdom of Mantid|
|Occupation||God of the Klaxxi
Progenitor of the Sha
|Location||The Underhold, beneath Orgrimmar (Heart of Y'Shaarj)|
|Relative(s)||Mantid, Shas, other Old Gods|
Y'Shaarj (pronounced Yah-Sha-Raj) was an Old God, one of several malefic beings that were defeated or sequestered by the Titans during Azeroth's primordial ages. He was said to be the only Old God to have been killed by the Titans. His heart was imprisoned in a vault beneath the Vale of Eternal Blossoms and later found and restored by Garrosh Hellscream, then transported to Orgrimmar's Underhold.
He is the 'progenitor' of the seven Sha primes.
Before the ordering of Azeroth
Located in what is now Pandaria, the mantid race worshipped his seven heads. The Titans slew Y'Shaarj, but with his dying breath he cursed Pandaria by infesting it with "shadows of his former self," the Sha. Y'Shaarj was said to have "consumed hope and begat despair ... inhaled courage and breathed fear".
At the command of Garrosh Hellscream, goblin engineers began excavations in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms to find a mysterious artifact, but found more than they bargained for. With the mining crew terrorized by an ancient power in the depths, adventurers were called in to retrieve whatever remained of the excavation. After clearing the mine full of the Blood of Y'Shaarj, adventurers blasted their way into an underground room. Inside the Vault of Y'Shaarj was found a chest, suspended from chains, which contained the Heart of Y'shaarj.
Garrosh Hellscream later fully restored the Heart of Y'shaarj using the pools of Pandaria. Fortunately, the whole God was not resurrected. The heart was taken to Orgrimmar, and placed in the Underhold, Garrosh's new seat of power.
After Garrosh's defeat, the Heart has suffered a failure and the Fading Breath briefly remained on the floor of the Underhold, then faded from existence, ending the life, influence and corruption of Y'Shaarj. With every Sha Prime and his heart dead, nothing remains of his power.
- Wakener, your deeds have earned you the trust of the Klaxxi.
- You are to be rewarded. Walk with me.
- We mantid are an elder race. The pandaren you associate with - they are but children. They have their role to play.
- Each cycle, our young swarm their walls. The pandaren slay the weak. The strong return.
- With each generation, we grow ever stronger.
- Before your history began, our empire was vast. We shared this world with our sister kingdoms, Ahn'Qiraj and Azjol-Nerub.
- Our Gods were many, and powerful. We mantid worshipped the seven heads of Y'shaarj[sic].
- Great was the Old One, and terrible was His wrath. He consumed hope and begat despair; He inhaled courage and breathed fear.
- When the usurpers came - the ones you call "Titans" - Y'shaarj was destroyed.
- His last terrible breath has haunted this land ever since, but the shadows he left behind are mere whispers of his former glory.
- I tell you now, because you have earned this warning.
- Your gods are not our gods, outsider.
- If the Old Ones ever return, we mantid will once again stand by their side.
- The wisest among you will do the same.
This story foreshadows the events that will take place during the Siege of Orgrimmar, as Paragons of the Klaxxi will ultimately side with Garrosh Hellscream, who managed to uncover the Heart of Y'Shaarj and even wield its power to some extent.
The Whispers of Y'Shaarj
- See also: Old Gods#Whispers
- You can never leave this place. There is no way home.
- You will die when you leave this place. There is nothing left of your world.
- You have already lost.
- All of your friends are dead.
- No one is coming to save you.
- Your allies will leave you behind.
- You cannot succeed. Your cause is hopeless.
- Your allies think you are weak.
- You do not have the strength to defeat him, you are too weak to carry on.
- With each threat unraveled, a step closer to my realm.
- Another blemish on your soul.
- You will rest in Ny'alotha.
- You should kill them all. You must kill them all.
- Eyes are the windows to the soul. Shatter them forever.
- Pluck their wings. Leave them broken.
- Pay the cost of greatness.
- All should bow before you. Make them!
- All that you have accomplished, all that you have won, yet still you lick the boots of kings.
- Carve more slowly, that I may feed.
- Embrace your rage.
- Caress your fear.
- Gorge your hatred.
- Voice your doubts.
- When you walk among the black forest, you will see.
- I can taste the essence of your soul... it is sweet...
Y'shaarj is voiced by Frank Welker.
Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron
Cataclysm introduced a new item, the , which whispers to the player on each attempt to open it. While most of these (extremely vague and cryptic) whispers are thought to describe N'Zoth, one describes a "black goat with seven eyes" which may refer to Y'Shaarj due to the similar theme of seven eyes/heads.
- Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
A similar mural from the Heart of Fear.
Based off the "black goat with seven eyes" quote of the puzzle-box it is possible Y'Shaarj is a reference to H.P. Lovecraft's Shub-Niggurath, who was known as "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young". However it is not completely certain if the goat is in fact Y'Shaarj.